Newbie Question - What Size Is Best?

danyorks

Hi All,

Complete newbie here - I'm about to buy a trials bike and give this a go! I'm 5'7" and about 10 1/2 stone - what size bike should I be starting with, a 125cc? or just go straight for a 250cc? I have a 650cc cruiser, so not completely new to bikes. However, when I was younger I found a CR250 was too much off road for me. (I was never an avid motocross rider anyway)

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

I would say a 250 would be fine. After years of riding 250 trials bikes I had a season on a 125 in motocross. There is no comparison, the power delivery is so different to a trials bike. The best thing is not to get ahead of yourself too soon and make sure you ride the easy course at trials. If you buy a 125 I think you'll be looking to swap within 12 months.Good luck & enjoy.

i ride a 250 beta but i have recently had a go on a evo 125 which was very very good it had plenty of power and was so easy to ride im 15 stone so i think i would be a bit too heavy for one but it may well be an option for you

Dany

I'm similar in dimension to you and ride my sons 125 Sherco and my own gasgas 250

I find the 250 "easier" to ride simply because it requires less careful gear selection.

Truth is they both have more potential than me.

Given that trials bikes all have similar low seat heights / weights it really is about preference.

Lastly, don't assume that large capacity = scary. Some manufacturers have mid capacity models that are "sharper" than their larger offerings.

My advice, go to a practice or trial.. get talking to some people and borrow a short ride on some bikes.

Dom

Beta 200 Rev 3 or Evo. Very easy to ride, more than enough power and they won't lead you into trouble. They are also easy to sell later on if you find you need more power as they are sought after machines because of the ability. You tend to get older riders buying the 200's so they get looked after and maintained well. This would be obvious when you see the bike and the owner regardless of bike age. A well maintained bike will appear so.