Slow Action Throttle?

danyorks

If you are a beginner...then I would suggest a slow action is a good idea.

When you say there is no spring return...do you mean your throttle doesn't snap back at all? If so is it definitely the throttle and not the slide spring in the carb at fault?

i ride twinshockers as well.

a fellow rider gave me the idea of a slow twist on my modern bike to help slow me down..

well.

i tried it, and it was a mess, most dangerous thing i ever did..when i need zap, i need it right now, not at the bottom of my wrist.

i removed it...

and installed fast twisters on all my trialers...best move i ever did.

learn on what you have, the less wrist movement the better..

dont step back...step up..

as you learn and progress, youll like the fast action..

i learned better throttle control, and that slowed my cornering down..

i went back to no stop for the most part, at the level i ride, it works better for me,

at 50, i doubt ill hop and stop and scale 20 ft splats.

Edited by chuckindenver

Hi Danyorks, bud there is no spring in the twist part of the throttle on my machine. The spring is in the top of the carb! Also if i gently tug outwards at the rubber part of the twist grip the fast springyness returns to the throttle. It could also be that the carb is gummed up if its been stood for a while. Hope this helps. :D

Hi

check that the throttle tube isnt squashed or distorted, or full of mud causing it to bind on the handle bar, if its a domino then there is no spring.

I did use a slow action tube for a while on my 350 gasgas but went back to the fast. As Chuckindenver says, I also find the smaller wrist movement to be more comfortable.

TLTEL

I'm just on my way to work for a couple of weeks but when I get back I'll look a bit more in to the carb/cable. Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I might try a slow action throttle and then decide for myself.

fix the issue..

then ride for a couple days with the fast action twist.

then try a slow action twist.

first time you roll your wrist from a slow twist..youll understand why a fast twist works.

i spend every thurs, having my wrists worked on from years of trials riding.

i still think a rider should learn on a fast twist, so as he progresses, he wont have to learn all over again.

the throttle on my new Evo 4T is even faster then the 2Ts..i like it even better. quarter turn and hang on.

I bet the grip or the tube if full of gunge and grit. It is rare for the spring in the carb itself is missing or damaged.

I'd remove the twist grip from the bar and clean everything really well. You should not need to oil the oil/bar interface but a dab of 3 in one does help or if you feel flash get some graphite powder. It will be slick as you like then but it won't attract dirt.

Whilst the throttle tube is off the bars and the cable nipple is free pull the throttle cable nipple with your fingers. Is should pull easily and snap back in. If not the cable may be goosed and full of muck too. You now have two options. Replace the throttle cable or remove the existing cable and flush it and lube it through. I would just get a new one. Lastly you have the throttle slide in the carb itself. If the air filters been neglected (check this is clean and oiled properly) crap will have got through and that could be making the slide stick. If so a good clean will sort that out.

I'm thinking throttle tube or cable are the most likely culprits though as they are often neglected and overlooked (I change cables every couple of years and graphite powder my throttle tube when I do my gearbox oil). It should be light and slick not heavy and hard to roll on the bar. Once this is sorted I doubt you will need a mincers slow tube as you will be able to control it no probs.

I find it weird that Beta put flywheel weights on but leave the tube standard. Personally I think you need a quick throttle (I'm no splatterer either) and a peppy motor as you can learn to control this. You cant learn to make a slow throttle faster if you understand what I mean. I'd check to see if it has a flywheel weight fitted. Its a two minute job to remove or replace and it may make it feel better full stop. It did when I removed mine.

• Like 1