200 Running Rich!

bulla101

Any info appreciated, I have a Fantic 200 which is running rich, I have had the carb/jets (del 25ml) cleaned, rebuilt the carb and fired it back on, I adjusted mix and idle screws to what sounded right, so off I went to a trial and all felt ok, as the trial whent on the running got worse and worse, it was not crisp at bottom of rev range and sounded like it was running with choke on as I moved from section to section, when I got her home I checked the plug which was new at start of the day and it was very sooty bike also used far more fuel than normal.

Jets are as 200 manual reccomended.

So any info on jets and settings would be much appreciated.

Cheers Andy.

was bike ok before?its no good changing jets if it was.the idle screw only afects tick over,going over tick over makes no difference on idle screw.so if its suddenly started to run rich its proberly flooding, replace float needle and its houseing 1st.you have cleaned out air filter?are you sure its not burning gear oil sucking through crank case seal on clutch side?

Before I stripped carb it was running on the rich side, but not giving me any trouble like it was at trial yesterday, it was fouling plugs every 4/5 trials (sooty), when I did oil change I measured what came out and it was exactly what I had put in (1000ml) so I can rule out crank seals, bike has new air filter, new plug and properly cleaned carb and jets, ??????

Thats what the classic trial OKO kit did for my 240 too !!!! :) But you may want check your float valve needle and seat first , and check you float level !

And is your exhaust clean ?

Edited by axulsuv

As was mentioned in another thread recently a few Fantics are having running problems. What we forget is they are 30 years old now. Many need coils up dating and a decent carb, can transform them no end.

• Like 1

There are many factors that must be right in order to make the engine run sweet, firstly I personally always start with a new carb either delorto or oko ( effects from oko are superb} . I have learnt through experience that carrying out a service on what may be an old carb is a waste of money. Secondly, as already said ,.the ignition must be good and also the engine must be tip top ,ie good crank seals, good compression. When all of this is satisfied also make sure the exaust is clean along with the silencer too.Be prepared to spend a bit of cash and you will get a great running bike.

Hi Turbo, with regards what you would do to the bike, i have already carried out most of that work, as mentioned in my earlier post i drained the oil last week and took 1000ml out which should suggest crank seals are OK as thats what went in, all im left with is the carb and a rewind for the coil, , its looking more and more likley that it is one of the two, i have a bloke who is gonna lend me his spare carb which is tried and trusted so we can rule out whether the coil needs rewinding also, after taking off the fly wheel the stator plate and coil look as good as new and i would have thought after 30+ years you would see discolouration at least on the winding but this looks as good as new so i am hoping the previous owner may have had this done at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, well i tried all sorts with the original Carb but got no better results so i gave in and purchased a new 26mm OKO carb from Chris at Classic Trial, OMG what a difference, its like a new bike, iridium plug also and fast action throttle, i cant believe the difference, thanks for the advise guys.

PS for anyone who has not used Classic Trial before for parts etc they are superb Chris is a top bloke, very helpfull and informative.