199A Front Wheel Alignment Problem.

scot taco

I tried to put my front wheel on only to find that it,s not centered between the forks.It is over to the left side (non-brake side). I bought the bike this winter and didn,t pay close enough attention to the front wheel when I took it apart.

My first thoughts were that maybe it had been re-spoked at one time with incorrect offset or that it had the wrong backing plate which was keeping it over too far.I have my brothers 199a here that is still apart for painting so I tried his front wheel.Same problem,over too far to the left! I can,t believe that both wheels could have the same issues.What the heck else could be wrong? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There is no spacer on the brake plate side (external spacer) so the brake plate sits right against the fork leg. There is a spacer on the other side and with the spacer fitted the edge of the hub is only about 1mm from the fork leg, they almost touch. The spindle goes in from the left side (left side as you sit on the bike)

Fitting like this the wheel will be central. If it isn't central, have you got the forks the right way around?

Not sure what the result of that would be but I can't think of anything else. If the spacer is too short the hub will foul on the fork leg and won't turn when tightened. If it's too long it will be difficult to fit and push the fork leg out.

I will have to see if I can figure out how to post some pictures.I don,t have an external site that I keep them on,only a file on my computer.

I just went back out to check and I do have the forks fitted the correct way with the spindle going in from the left with the backing plate right up against the right fork leg.There is a staight spacer on the left side that seems to keep everything right.I can get the wheel in ok and it tightens up and spins freely.The other thing that is suspect is the triple clamps as they are not for this year sherpa and the same with the forks,well at least the tubes.The bottom clamp is a gull wing style like it should be,but the top clamps are the old tapered style.There are no pinch bolts in the top clamps and the top of the fork tubes are tapered and as you probably know,get tight when you tighten up the fork caps pulling them into the top clamp.The bottom sliders are not black other than under the dust covers.Who knows,they could be older sliders that were painted black and re-stripped or originals to the bike that were stripped.The more I work on it the more it seems like a bitsa.I wish I had the forks from my brothers bike here to compare.

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

Edited by scot taco

There is a sleeve/bush that is in the left hand fork leg, it has a split in it to allow it to compress when the two pinch bolts are tightened. The split should be aligned with the split in the fork leg. I have seen the bottom of forks snapped off due to over tightening and nonalignment of the bush.When the wheel is in place the hub may rub on the inside of the left hand fork leg , with the axle tightened and the pinch bolts loose [too close to the left leg]. If you gently insert a flat bladed screwdriver between the leg and the hub you can force the bottom of the leg out to the right [1-2mm] and this will expose about 2mm of the split sleeve to give you the necessary clearance , then tighten the pinch bolts. In other words the split sleeve must protrude a couple of mm's to the inside of the leg to give the necessary clearance, not flush as you might expect.

Hope this helps Greg

Hey,it worked! I have one more to add of the top clamp.Thanks for the help sherpa325.As you can see in the pic the left side split spacer in the fork is already sticking in past flush a few mm.Measuring between the tubes the wheel is about 1/4 inch (6mm) off center.

Everything looks fine, except of course your offset wheel, maybe you can loosen off the left side spokes and tighten the right side spokes to pull it across, if you have enough thread on the spokes. If I am reading your post correctly the difference in measurements between the edge of the rim and the forkleg is 6mm which would mean you only have to pull the rim back 3mm to even up the measurements. On another note my 199B [which was imported to Australia from the USA with a second one, as that model was never sold here] has the same forks in it as yours-- M92 style, Hughs USA claim they were the original forks in both bikes.

Cheers Greg

I'd always thought the rim was supposed to sit to the left, all 4 sherpas that I have do.

With the pinch bolts on the fork leg I leave them loose, tighten the axle then bounce the forks up and down or have a bit of a ride, to let any fan or taper out of the forks so they find their parallel position then tighten them up.

• Like 2

Greg,you were correct.I had a chance to get back out in the garage yesterday and work on the sherpa and it did not take much to pry/slide the left fork leg over on the bushing and get it centered.I don,t think it will bind the forks at all.I feel kind of stupid for not figuring that out! Thanks very much for the help.

It is interesting that your 199b has the m92 style forks like mine.I kind of thought that someone had just put an old set on mine.I have seached the web for pics and haven,t seen any 199 models with the old style clamps.

Bondy,I will measure my 199a rear wheel offset and post it later,but I.m sure inmotion could tell you what it is for sure.

Thanks again to everyone!

Cheers, Scott

Greg,you were correct.I had a chance to get back out in the garage yesterday and work on the sherpa and it did not take much to pry/slide the left fork leg over on the bushing and get it centered.I don,t think it will bind the forks at all.I feel kind of stupid for not figuring that out! Thanks very much for the help.

It is interesting that your 199b has the m92 style forks like mine.I kind of thought that someone had just put an old set on mine.I have seached the web for pics and haven,t seen any 199 models with the old style clamps.

Bondy,I will measure my 199a rear wheel offset and post it later,but I.m sure inmotion could tell you what it is for sure.

Thanks again to everyone!

Cheers, Scott

Yes Scott, the two 199b's that were imported here to Australia from the USA via Hughs have the earlier forks and a confirmation from Hughs that they were original, but I have never seen any others with these forks, maybe the last USA bikes were more of a bitsa than say the rest of the world!!!

• Like 1

Hello sherpa325,

Is that 199b the one with original footrests? Or have they been cut off and had modern brackets welded to it?

Would be a shame to wreck a classic bike like that. Actually I'm against modifying any old bike to bring it up to modern specs.

Cheers

brt650