marky g

I was marking a board at the local mid wales trial yesterday and after seeing what must have been a million Gas Gas's come through and couple of guys on twin shocks came through...one was a Ossa with some very trick looking yokes, billet type alloy jobs, looked like the Scorpa ones...all in all a very sweet sounding and good looking bike.

The next was a TL125 which again sounded very sweet, that had a very nice alloy tank sprayed blue and silver, both bikes really took my eye!.

My point being now I can see why these boys must spend what must be a huge amount of money on old bikes.....there was more folk looking at these bikes than all of the rest put togethor, it was great to see these bikes still being used hard in the sections like they should be

Keep it up lads :lol:

Edited by Marky G

Yes, sounds like the Ossa is Steve Sell (think that is the right name)

He has made the fork yokes himself, put a reed block on the barrell and machined alternate fins out of the barrell to make it look like one of the last 4 fin motocross barrells. All very nicely done. If I remember rightly, I think he made a different swingarm for it too. There was a picture of him riding it in TMX in one of the trials reports a few weeks ago and it had what looked like Bultaco fork legs in it - absolute sacrilege...... :lol:

Come to think of it RS they did have a southern accent :lol:

Woody, I seem to recall the barrels on the Ossa having wide fins, didn't get much time to gawp as they were off on to the next section.

I think there was a chap on a new Mont 4rt with them too, he said he normally rides Pre65..couldn't belive how light the 4rt felt compared to his brit bike.

Bet they had never seem so much of Wales before :D the trial was Bikespace's club....1 single lap of 40 sections in a 5000 acre forest..brill stuff.

Great trials there Gaz, sorry I couldn't make it for todays bash....how was it mate?

Did you see the guy riding round watching the trial on tha mint 400/4 Honda road bike?

I'm sure I wouldn't have wanted to get it dirty if it were mine!

Cracking trial anyway, what was the final count for Sunday...I heard about 140 to 150 riders :lol:

Seemed to go well. I can't take the credit for this years event. I went on holiday while most the work was done :lol: I just did the gobby bits at the start and the end so get more credit than is due.

I think the total was about 145. We maybe need to hold it to 125 next year and make it enter before the event. It was 8 and a half hours in total. The observers were amazing, but it could have been nasty for them if we hadn't had the heatwave that we were blessed with.

Some people were a bit slow to get round I suppose. I spent nearly two hours observing, 30 minutes stripping a montesa, waited for 30 minutes at the caravan, and still finished with about 30 people behind me.

We've discussed timed starts, time limits etc, but we're right on the edge now of it being manageable so we'll be careful next year.

Had about 50 entries to the fun trial today, which is just a nice amount - it only started out as a practice day last year that we thought may as well be a mini-trial for those that stop over. Sections were maybe a bit tough today for all except the experts - but it will be back to normal for the club trials where we can spend a bit more time 'tinkering' with them.

I did see that Honda - luvly job. He didn't mind riding it through the mud though. You could learn something from him :D

While we're on the subject, we had a situation yesterday where some of the twinshocks rode the white route (as is standard for them at the moment) and some elected to 'rideup' on the yellow route. We had to class the ones who elected to ride the yellow route as 'out of class'

It's never reared it's head before really, or not that I've noticed, but what d'ya reckon the place for the twinshocks is?

I reckon it probably should be the yellow route, but we're going to have to check it out before we maybe change it for next year.

It's a tricky one with the pre-65's as well. One of the pre-65's managed the only clean sheet yesterday. I would ride a pre-65 on the yellow route, as would some of the others (Nick Woolley for example) but it may take the enjoyment away for some of them. I wouldn't fancy lugging a big rigid round the yellow route.

This event tends to attract cubs, the odd greeves, C15, B40 at most though. We are playing safe at the moment I suppose.

Edited by bikespace

Sounds like a cracking trial yesterday. I'd loved to have ridden and am disappointed not to have but some mystery thing has been leaving me drained of energy for the last couple of months and as I've had to retire from the last 2 events because of it I had to concede it wasn't worth going, and I really hate doing that. Used to ride loads of Llanfyllin trials in the 80s and they were always good events.

As regards routes for the twinshocks it's difficult to make a ruling as to which they should ride. How they cope with the sections depends on the type of bike and who is riding them. If you have competent riders on modern, well sorted bikes such Fantics, Hondas etc. then they are going to be able to and want to ride harder sections than an average Joe on an unmodified 70s twinshock. Same with the Pre65. A 'modern', modified bike with decent rider will want more of a challenge than the more standard bikes. I think it is easier to include a class on both Yellow and White and let the rider decide for themselves. That way they are all happy and no gripes about too hard or too easy. Having ridden the ACU Classic for the last umpteen years I have seen how difficult it is to cater for the wide range of rider abilities and machine capabilities on one route. That series desperately needs two routes to encourage more twinshocks and Pre65s back into it

Sounds like a cracking trial yesterday. I'd loved to have ridden and am disappointed not to have but some mystery thing has been leaving me drained of energy for the last couple of months and as I've had to retire from the last 2 events because of it I had to concede it wasn't worth going, and I really hate doing that. Used to ride loads of Llanfyllin trials in the 80s and they were always good events.

As regards routes for the twinshocks it's difficult to make a ruling as to which they should ride. How they cope with the sections depends on the type of bike and who is riding them. If you have competent riders on modern, well sorted bikes such Fantics, Hondas etc. then they are going to be able to and want to ride harder sections than an average Joe on an unmodified 70s twinshock. Same with the Pre65. A 'modern', modified bike with decent rider will want more of a challenge than the more standard bikes. I think it is easier to include a class on both Yellow and White and let the rider decide for themselves. That way they are all happy and no gripes about too hard or too easy. Having ridden the ACU Classic for the last umpteen years I have seen how difficult it is to cater for the wide range of rider abilities and machine capabilities on one route. That series desperately needs two routes to encourage more twinshocks and Pre65s back into it

Get your Thyroid levels checked out, Woody.

A friend had same symptoms and couldn't ride his bike and went to the Docs, who couldn't explain it.

Whilst having tests with Practice Nurse, he mentioned his problem and she said she'd do a test of his Thyroid levels and when they came back, he shouldn't have been able to walk and was called straight in.

Took the Tablets and was much better in 2 weeks.

He then was able to ride to Morrocco and the Sahara on his 1150GS BMW

I'm not a Doctor or medically trained, but you never know where the best tips come from.

Hope you get better soon.

Cheers Johhny, definite possibility, had blood tests last week so waiting for the outcome and Thyroid is one of the checks, along with a few others. Of course, my body could just be crying enough now.....

One thing is for sure though, I am definitely hauling myself up to Cumbria for the next round of the ACU Classic on Sunday. I dragged myself around the SSDT so will do the same there as venues like that are not to be missed - especially after missing Bootle round due to the van tyre blowing out on the M6 on the way.

Looks like the Majesty is going to have to come out a bit earlier than intended for a shakedown as the Ossa is dead again (all of 'em...)

One thing is for sure though, I am definitely hauling myself up to Cumbria for the next round of the ACU Classic on Sunday.

If you get to Cumbria this weekend you've gone too far! Dabster has urged me to try one of these Classic rounds (then the git hasn't entered himself) so I'll see you there.

One thing is for sure though, I am definitely hauling myself up to Cumbria for the next round of the ACU Classic on Sunday.

If you get to Cumbria this weekend you've gone too far! Dabster has urged me to try one of these Classic rounds (then the git hasn't entered himself) so I'll see you there.

Opps, might be a good idea to find out where it is - haven't even looked yet. Got the riding list through today, think I may be at the wrong end, could be a tad slippery at the front.

Think you should enjoy it Perce, couldn't ride it myself last year but it was reckoned by all to be a good trial, for the modern bikes too.

Dabster's not willing to move away from that Southern softie mud :lol:

Twinshock - you polish that bike any more, the frame tubes will be that thin they'll snap :D