Montesa 349

lblack

That's a great pic of a lovely bike.

I have tried to make a replica myself.

cbe09746-de7a-46b7-b498-bb0833c264bd_zps6a00cf4a.jpg[/url]

Will probably put the original silencer back on as it's not quiet running right yet.

Why have you attempted to make a later model bike look like an earlier model?

A few reasons really, I prefer the red and white colour scheme, I wanted a Reynold's/Rathmell works replica which were the first bikes to use this style frame, the white tank/seat is narrower and the original red one had gone pink!, and i guess...why not.

Although I have now got the original tank/seat pretty much back to red and recently have been riding it with that on, which matches the frame, which is nice.

A few reasons really, I prefer the red and white colour scheme, I wanted a Reynold's/Rathmell works replica which were the first bikes to use this style frame, the white tank/seat is narrower and the original red one had gone pink!, and i guess...why not.

Although I have now got the original tank/seat pretty much back to red and recently have been riding it with that on, which matches the frame, which is nice.

Have you ever measured the geometry of this frame against an original white tank model bike? I do wonder if the different swinging arm & longer front pipe improved the bike. I had a white 349 new in 1981, it handled like a super tanker & the motor was awful, far too strong, I spent most of my time chasing the pig up sections.

Many thanks Scot

Hi Perce, I believe the head angle is a bit steeper, certainly seems to steer pretty well. Last one I rode was a 348 back in the day and that wasn't too good at turning.

It's pretty smooth, but it has got electronic ignition and a Mikuni, plus the standard back box now, which helps, ignition is a little retarded too.

That last 349 - aka 349/4, 350 or MH349 - is a much better bike than the previous white one. Quicker steering and handles really well. Motor is one of the best of the twinshocks

I had a Cota 350 and the only thing that let it down was the clutch action. Rest of the bike was spot on.

Well that is a very nice looking machine./

I am currently building a 248 model, looks very similar to yours.

I've just bought new chain tubes and alloy bracket to fit to the rear wheel spindle. Made up some small alloy spacers to allow fitment to the alloy bracket. How are the tubes fixed at the front? At the moment mine are just resting on the chain. This cant be right, can it? Also, how does the rubber over the front sprocket area?

Photographs would be useful.

Many thank

Many thanks Dr Nosh

Just the chain holds the tubes in place at the front, seems strange but works, mine is in fact wrong as it has 2 upper tubes, so the tensioner push's up on the tube rather than the chain, all is quite loose, MOT man wasn't keen but could not see a reason to fail it.

It was like it when I bought it as a very low useage bike and seems to work well so have left it, means tensioner rubbers will last longer!

Here is the manual pic of the sprocket cover, it's rubber and just push's over some nipple type things (!!)

mont_zps8be993ec.jpg

I think they are the part I have highlighted, I will do a pic if i have a chance this week.

Oh, agree with Woody, the clutch is horrible! I am oldschool and don't use it much, but even then it's a pain, bite point seems variable as does the slip and grab, the strange noise's it make just add to the fun!

Edited by gbmoto

Hello Gbmoto,

On all Cotas that use a chain tensioner and the chain tubes, the bottom tube has to be shortened at the front; just enough to stop the chain rubbing against the frame (if slack) but enough to let the tensioner act against the chain.

In the old days you could buy a replacement 'bottom' tube which was actually shorter for the 349s, nowadays I think you can only get the standard tube.