Rules

dixie

I was wondering what the rules are for twin shock?

can i run disc brakes?

I have a little 125 scorpa that i really love and dont really want to get rid of

can i make up a rear subframe and bang two shocks on or is this not playing the game?

I have seen a lot of big money bikes that seem to be accepted

About the only rule for twinshocks at the moment is that the bike must have been manufatured with twinshocks as standard equipment. So for the ACU Classic series or the Sammy Miller series you would not be allowed to ride a modified monoshock, otherwise where would you draw the line - 300 Raga replicas with twinshocks

In club trials you can ride what you like probably as it is up to individual clubs. There is a TY Mono fitted with twinshocks being ridden regularly in the twinshock class around Wilts. area such as Bath Classic, Golden Valley. That bike has a huge advantage over proper twinshocks and wouldn't be allowed in the ACU Classic.

Personally, I don't see the point, don't think it is in the spirit of what riding a twinshock is about and is basically cheating. I like riding certain twinshocks because they were the bikes that were current when I started riding in the 70s and most were just a pipe dream as they were new and I couldn't afford one. They are the bikes I have a certain affinity for and would like to own now and ride whenever possible. Most of the later twinshocks don't really interest me as much so don't have such a desire to own one. There are the odd exceptions though...

As regards discs, there are no rules and a few bikes that run in the ACU Classic are fitted with modern forks and a disc. Personally I wish they'd ban them (discs - not the riders who have fitted them...) as it could be the first step towards more modifications and if that leads to what has happened in Pre65 it only adds to the cost of competing if you are to stay competitive and on an even playing ground.

I recently saw a picture of an Air-cooled mono-shock Yamaha TY250 (Red frame, White plastics) that had been converted into a twin-shocker, looked pretty neat, sure the bike was on drum-brakes front and rear, think it was in T+MX News.

I have trouble with muscles in my left arm (following a bad accident a few years ago) that has made me consider putting one of those hydraulic clutch conversions in place of the cable on one of my old dogs!

It would be interesting to see what peaple have to say about this and what the rules actually stipulate.

Gaff.

The TY Mono that has been converted to twin shock does not have such a huge advantage over proper twin shock machines, as I have seen it beaten by a much older rider on a totally standard 200 Whitehawk Yam!

That very rarely happens though as he normally wins the t/s class in those trials every time. Have to disagree about the advantage the bike has - engine in standard form is far better than most twinshocks, as is the clutch, steers better, front suspension and brakes are better and the bike is lighter than all but the smaller bikes.

Fitting a hydraulic clutch won't upset anyone - again, nothing in the rules about it and personally I can't see anything wrong with it. After all, it's not as though your hiding a Honda or Yam clutch in a Pre65

Dodgy ground this, I have felt the rath of a couple of guys who were riding Pre65's when I entered an aircooled mono by mistake in a sammy miller event,, even though I was riding out of the results they went on and on like a couple of bitch's.

Seems funny to me when most of the bikes there are full of modern mods to the suspension and engine dept.

Generally a good bunch but can be ruined by a few bitter old men..tread carefully my friend :D:lol:

Edited by Marky G

Seemed to recall the days gone by of my road bikes....... the old brit bike vs the jap bike thing in the 70's...all very sad.

In the end to avoid a fracas I just jacked the trial in and went home :lol:

I was going to complain the the club that was running the event (TMX didn't state pre65 only) but I thought what's the point?.

Never mind, all water under the bridge and all...... :D

Edited by Marky G

Tim Wheeler's bike is a bit more than a standard mono with twinshocks!!!

Still beat him on my 30yr old KT though.... probably closer to std than his mono. Nice front brake on his bike, a twin leading shoe from an early 'crosser, anyone had any experience with this type pf brake?. Wait till you see what Nic Draper has in the pipeline!!! Based on a mono engine.... V SPECIAL.

I think the trail and twinshocks competed in the same class last year in the Sammy Miller series. Twinshocks were supposed to have their own class but it didn't happen untill this year. And they were also supposed to be Pre-76 and Spanish....

I can guess what is going on with a Mono engine. I was looking at putting one in a mini majesty or TY175 frame a while back along with other mods but in the end thought sod it as it was a lot of work, most of which I coulcn't do and ultimately, I felt it was cheating a bit so scrapped the idea. Then I thought, well, it's nothing that couldn't be done when twinshocks were still being ridden as the Yam Mono was a couple of years ahead of other monos, so I thought it could be classed as a 'period' mod. Then I thought sod it again, sold the engine and kept the ignition for the Majesty.

So, at a guess I'd say that a tweaked mono engine is going in a mini majesty frame with discs etc. Near the mark or way of..?

I don't think it will. The TY175 and TY250 twinshock have different backplates according to my mate who borrowed a 250 stator from me. I don't know this for sure myself as I don't have a 175 but he said the 250 plate wouldn't fit. Think the 250 may be larger diameter. The flywheels are definitely different.

So as the 250 twinshock and the 250 mono backplates are the same, I don't know what you would have to do to get the mono to fit the 175, if there is anything. On the 250 twinshock the mono stator fitted staight on and worked with the twinshock flywheel. It was just trial and error to find a firing point as the timing marks obviously don't align. Once it's fired up it can be timed with a strobe, or just trial and error until it runs ok. I haven't used the bike with this set up yet though but I knowof someone else who has/does and it works fine.

There is an electronic system (of sorts - I'm not too technically minded when it comes to electrics) available by Australian company called Atom ignition that is supposed to do away with points and work with any 2 stroke engine. Don't know where you get it from or how well they work but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than anything else available. Someone on another forum was trying one on a Sherpa but never gave any feedback as to how good/bad it was. I know you can buy them for Bantams for about

hey woody, bang on with the draper mono engined mini!

must have cyclepathic skills!!

So I guess this guy is going to ride this under a twin shock banner then? whats all that about then eh?....kinda makes me laugh when you guys buy bikes to complete in "twinshock trials" and then do your upmost to turn the thing into a modern bike barring two springs on the rear :D:lol:

Not really the spirit of things is it?

Guessed what he was doing as soon as you mentioned the mono engine as I was going to do it myself.

I'm not against modifications if they are 'period' but it is hard to define that. If it was something that could be done at the time, then it is ok. There was a lot more modification going on with bikes back then than people probably remember. Lots of experimentation with swingarm length and positioning, damper positioning, steering angles, exhausts, reed valves etc. but I guess the Yam Mono killed it all at a stroke. The bikes ridden by the works riders were always different from customer bikes in one way or another.

I was going to put a mono engine in a mini majesty or 175 frame to make a sort of replica of the last 'works' Majesty. These were smaller frames than the usual Majesty and had a special 6 speed motor, nothing like the twinshock TY250 motor, but very similar to the Mono. There were only about 3 or 4 of these bikes made I think. They were almost a mono without the mono, if you understand what I mean - pretty good. They were never offered for sale, works bikes only. So putting the mono in the smaller frame I thought was viable as it was sort of replicating one of those works bikes. Anyway, didn't have the skills to do it so forgot about it - and I probably would have felt like it was cheating.

• 1 year later...

Woody , I think you'd have hell of a job fitting a mono engine in a yam twinshock chassis because the rear engine mounts pivot with the monoshock! a mate tried to fit a mono re rising rate twostroke yam engine in a twinshock chassis and gave up because of above reasons!.

Going back to mono's fitted with twinshocks i find it cheating as the mono yam is far superior in every way like you say engine/ forks/ much lighter/ slimmer / etc, etc, same as disc front brakes fiited to some tlr hondas , whats that all about??? I was tailking to Mick Andrews a couple of weeks ago! and he said the twinshocks are starting to go the same way as the pre-65's looking and riding nothing like when they were originally made! which is a shame, on the day i met him he had a go on my std (apart from larger footrests) yam 250 majesty and said it rode superb!!! :wacko: no need to chop this and that, change forks, s/arm, it worked perfect as it was! :wacko:

I don't understand all this mucking about with the twinshock's either.I come to the conclusion that rider's find the mono class to hard so they turn to the twinshock class only to find out the twinshock's are alot heavier or they find the braking is'nt as good.

My twinshock's are as standard as they came out of the factory, and to start chopping them about would be a SIN.

All your doing is taking the history of the bike away. :wacko: