Ty350 ? Not Ty250

mudyman

Hi all,

I´m not a TY guy (had a used mono in about 1990). Theres a red and white 1977 twin shock TY 350 for sale and I didn´t ever hear of there being a 350 one. The seller says it has registration documents where it says TY250 but he´s got a pic of the barrel that say´s 350 (351 cc exactly).

It´s not cheap as he want´s 1250,00 Euros and its a non runner thats been standing outside with rust on the forks etc. etc.

Any information about the 350 from 1977 would be interesting !

Thanks for the replies,

I got a mail from the present owner and hes thinks its a special works one, he also sent me the link to yamahaty.com and under "Genese de la TY" there´s the "Rayer 360" bike shown in about 1972.

Under "de vente" theres a list with sales in france and the 350 is listed with 2 sold in 1977, 84 sold in 1978 and 78 sold in 1979 so it must have been about but when very rare.

The pic of the barrel shows clearly "351 cc" stamped at the bottom.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Yamaha-TY-350-250-Trial-Twinshock-Vintage-Enduro-Motocross-Gelandesport-Oldtimer-/151049963787?pt=Motorr%C3%A4der&hash=item232b47890b#ht_215wt_958

thats it !

Looks to me very much like its an RT2 or RT3 barrell, head & piston on a TY250 bottom end. It'd be a lot of work to adapt it as the stud spacing is different, as is the stroke (70mm vs 64mm). Probably uses the std 64mm stroke giving 321cc actual capacity, as Matty suggested.

Edited by jc2

The Yamaha development people in Holland developed a 360cc TY250 motor which utilised an RT3 barrel and head, and a stroked crank to achieve the same bore/stroke as the RT3 and DT360A motors. There was quite a bit of work required to achieve this with a TY250 bottom end. I have recently ridden a TY250D with this motor that was built in Sydney, Australia in 1977 using advice from the works Yamaha trials people in Holland at the time. It is still owned by the person who had it built in 1977, and it saw sterling service in both the solo frame and as a sidecar outfit.

These motors are too tall to fit in a Majesty frame.