348 Help/info

nelly1

just bought one in decent condition just a few questions

why the plastic tube over the chain can i bin this and use a tensioner i have seen one on in motion site

are the swingarm bushes easy to do mine are shot also rear wheel bearings anything unusual or just knock out type

oil change ? two different types what amount and what type

thanks for your help

neil

The plastic tubes were an innovation on a production bike when the 348 appeared. They formed a neat set-up which acted as tensioner as well as protection for (and from) the chain and worked pretty well although the popular mod was to cut the bottom tube ahead of the rear sprocket to avoid fouling. The bushes between the tube brackets and the alloy holder at the rear wheel could wear so the whole set-up became a bit sloppy. Also the tubes make chain replacement a more fiddly job, threading the chain through each one. I used to tie a piece of string to the end of the chain before removing it so it could be pulled back through the tube fairly easily. I know the tubes are still available from In-Motion but not sure about brackets or bushes. A conventional tensioner is an option some have used but you'd need to weld a mounting bracket on the swinging arm and preferably rig up a chain guard on the top run if you're doing away with the tubes altogether.The majority of 348s I have seen which are still running seem to have had the tubes ditched but no tensioner fitted, which obviously leads to a rather snatchy power delivery and more stress on the chain.

I had a couple of 348s, one for 8 years. I like the chain tubes as especially combined with a drip chain oiler the chain and sprocket life is near indefinite.

Gearbox oil is EP90 and I think it is 600cc but double check that if you can. Primary drive oil is 10w 30 castrolite but I used to use universal tractor oil with no problems. Capacity 300 to 350cc, but double check this if you can

Wheel bearings usual type

Swing are bearings are bronze bushes and can take a bit of pushing out.

Edited by dadof2

• 2 weeks later...

• 6 years later...