Clutch Dragging On My 2008 280Txtpro - *problem Solved*

mic

I have a problem with the clutch on my bike, it keeps dragging even with the lever completely pulled in to the handlebar.

The bike is used but new to me since one week, the last owner used Motorex 10W30 synthetic gearbox oil, so my first question is if this is a good oil to use for my bike?

It has been a while since i last owned a bike and the last one did not have an hydraulic clutch so im not yet familiar with this, can the problem be air in the hydralic system for the clutch?

It does not feel like it is slipping at any point, just not completely disengaging when the lever is pulled.

I have tried to adjust the play and the "setting" of the clutch lever, but without any noticable difference.

Please let me know if you have any ideas?

Edited by mic

The only adjustment is a tiny bit of freeplay at the lever.

I never rode a Pro that didn't have clutch drag.

People associated with GG have told me that it's supposed to be that way and you'll learn to like that little bit of "push" at the back tire when the lever is pulled.

Sorry, but when I pull the lever I like the clutch to disengage.

Thanks for your input, i found a tutorial on youtube for the clutch adjustment and mine is setup just like it, not much to adjust really.

I guess i have to get used to it then, but i have to agree, its not the way i would like it t be.

both our pros ( 300 and 125) have no drag! it shouldn't have lots of drag and its not normal for the clutch to do that. it was designed to disengage so you can stop! although many bikes do have drag its not supposed to be that way! dont get used to it and try a different gear oil. the best stuff you can get for a gasgas is GRO extreme gear oil 75w or GRO gear trans. we use this is and has eliminated the drag . try it its great stuff!

The only adjustment is a tiny bit of freeplay at the lever.

I never rode a Pro that didn't have clutch drag.

People associated with GG have told me that it's supposed to be that way and you'll learn to like that little bit of "push" at the back tire when the lever is pulled.

Sorry, but when I pull the lever I like the clutch to disengage.

Edited by shercoben12

I removed the dustseal and checked the mastercylinder, it was a bit of oil and dirt that was collected behind the circlips, i removed it and cleaned everything but still way to much drag.

im going to try to change the oil and bleed the system and also change the gearbox oil later today.

Unfortunatly i have already bought some ATF dexron 3 for the gearbox after advice of an other GasGas owner, otherwise i could have tried the oil you suggested (shercoben).

Edited by mic

yeah charlie that used to happen on the pre pro gassers but the newer ones seem to be alright. but still atf is so thin! its great for clutches but not good for bearings!

mic - i would still buy some GRO as this is what gasgas factory recommends and which raga uses. its what they tell the dealer to use when they assemble the bike from the box. it doesn't drag from new does it?!

I would strongly advise against atf. It swells your clutch plates and makes drag! I don't think you need to bleed it unless it crunches into gear? My pro had atf in. I replaced it with motul light gear oil. Made a big difference.

Ok, now i have opened the clutchpackage and thouroghly cleaned them with brake cleaner, measured the pack and it is within the tolerances specified (i measured 9.8mm), reassembled everything and filled it with 550ml (according to the manual) motorex 10w/30 which was all that was available at my local bikeshop, skipped the ATF oil after your comments.

Started the thing and i could notice a small improvement, but still quite a bit of drag...

Im far from an expert on these things, but my feeling is that the slavecylinder dont move enough to completely disengage the clutch.

Edited by mic