Shed / Workshop Security

stormy normy

For sometime I have been thinking about an alarm on the shed and am wondering if anyone has experience of the good and bad systems / does and donts ??

Any other general security solutions that can be suggested ?

Thanks guys

(I hope I dont tempt fate by posting this :mellow: )

I use a XENA XA201. Watch out for cheap copies, they can be unreliable. Batteries last spring to autumn, then need two changes in winter.

I doubt it's that effective but it's relatively cheap and easy to use.

I use a web cam hooked up to a old computer to record on a 1week loop, it takes a picture evey 10sec. and can be viewed from the web or on the telly at home. A motion light that lights up the inside and outside the shop, stops a lot of people. Anyone thats trying to break in want to do it in the dark and not in bright lite. And it never hurts to have the 12ga shot gun at the ready.

not got a garage but a wooden shed

being a country boy my shed is coated on very thin wires all over and its hooked up to two cattle electric packs that are hidden in porch of house.

as soon as I go to bed flick the switch and all set .

never had problems with robbers burglers cats dogs infact my garden is very quiet lol.

works for me only ever forgot it was on once until I went to unlock shed never ever forgot to turn it off again .

• Like 2

Whatever you do for an alarm is great but lock the crap out of everything, make one way in and one way out, I have a small man door that my bike won't even fit through as the only easy way in and out

The rest is steel bars and pipes on windows and doors, bike is locked to the steel bike stand

My alarm is cellular and monitored

I know someone who has an old baby monitor in his garage, personally iv got a wireless alarm system that arms downstairs and garage when I go to bed relatively cheap and easy to fit yourself

Thats what i used to use when i lived in the UK with the back up of a big Rotty dog, it works as scum tried to nick the bikes but noise alerted the dog and myself and never seen scum move so fast as they disappeared never to come back + chain the bikes down to the floor to give yourself time to get there

Apart from bolting everything down, I use an 8+ camera CCTV camera system around the house and sheds. I paid about 1300 pounds ($2200au) with discount (i set them up at work) 5 years ago but now you can get the same updated full professional system for less than 600 pounds ($1000au). Get great big dirty cameras that stick out like a sore thumb where people can see them so hopefully they'll move onto an easier target/something else. Cameras have been invaluable for catching thieves who smash and grab so i set up a system at home too ;)

cheers

All good comments so far,I have sold motorcycle securities and alarms for over thirty years now and the best advice is obtain and use as many different devices as you can, all your eggs in one basket is not a great option when protecting motorcycles. One of the most fun options is to fit a silent alarm that calls your mobile phone and your house phone, that way you can surprise the visitors in the act, you may consider taking the Rottweiler with you as well !

I have always been paranoid about thefts. Alarms alert you after the fact unless you are home. A good video let`s you watch it. I have a locked gate and yard. Keep a trailer backed against the garage door. Only way in is just the side door which my dog is chained too. Bikes are always locked together in two`s and three`s with high strength security bars that can not be cut with bolt cutters. ( Torch or high speed grinder could work)

My wife also baby sit`s the county sheriffs son. Pity the poor thief if a call comes from my house!