Whats In A Name?

dadof2

I get fed up with trials being referred to as "a race" or "grand prix"

Sooner people get back to calling them observed or reliability trials the better.

Words like race and grand prix conjure up images of speed and hoards of noisy bikes tearing up the countryside.

This impression will only result in land being lost, higher insurance and is an open goal for the numerous organisations that hate off road motorcycling.

• Like 2

It's essential so that the casual spectator can identify with it and might be encouraged to watch it, as they understand words like race and grand prix.

Talk about observed trials and they are lost. Something to do with watching barristers isn't it (no, not whilst they're out dogging...)

Its the kind of bollocks that happens when promoters and money men run the show and want to turn it into exactly that. A money making show to line their own pockets with no care at all for the history or roots of the sport or what happens to it once they've p****d off.

The same people presumably who tell Cal Cruthlow and Dougie Lampkin back in his day to give media interviews in a ridiculous euro accent. And who tell today's Motogp riders to pick up their drinks bottle and have a fake swig every time someone pokes a camera in their face,

The sport sold out to money years ago and 'race', 'fiasco' and 'grand prix' is the result.

• Like 1

i watched the FIM trials show on motors tv last thursday i think....i noticed the word "race" was being bandied about by the top riders on the show!

if its being called a race at the top level what chance have we got

" Rugged Racing on the Rocks" was a newspapers heading for an article I wrote on the first observed trial we held in Alice Springs back in the early 1980's.also with changes to my account of the day like "action was fast and furious". Why? . I carried on writing for the local paper for the next ten years [and after having words with the editor] that was the last time the word racing was used.

I remember working so hard to get the real feel of the sport out to the readers and getting our membership to grow without the need for "speed" being in the report.

And it worked, we had a very healthy club. I must admit that to someone watching riders going thought obstacles "non stop" may have looked fast to them.

The above appeared in the magazine Trail and Track [in the trials section but with the true account of the days events] The original, it seems was good enough for the biking public but not for the general public. Seems little has changed

Made me laugh when the guns started calling it "racing" when they spent a lot of time bouncing on the spot going nowhere. :unsure:

I have found that the 'feel' of the spectators and competitors is different at trials a meeting than it is at 'speed orientated bike events events.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Taff

Race , don't make me laugh . No start flag , no finish flag , no fastest lap , and in some cases no organisation .

So what we calling it ? This is one of them " vertically challenged " job's ain't it .

Tell you what , lets call it a Moto trials event !

Just an idea .

Dam , that's what it used to be called .