Gagas Kick Start Problem

johnf2711

Thanks , ive only experienced this sort of problem on older bikes when the spring or the starter gear are worn. When you say they are like it from new,and have the same engine designer as the Ossa, i have an 2011 ossa and that has never slipped once, and doesnt want to start as sometimes the little rascal can be a bugger to start.

I think what johnf2711 means is sometimes when you kick a bigger Gas Gas over it does not always appear to catch and spin the engine. I think that it is a function of the engine design, not wear. The Ossas I have tried have 'slipped' sometimes the same way. I guess it is to do with the way the bikes transfer the 'kick' into the 'spin.' Just a partial cog or quadrant not a whole circle cog perhaps?

Someone here with technical knowledge can explain I'm sure.

Also checkout Xui trials designs at Xui-rdi Engineering, in Girona Spain.

I have had a Sherco and now a GasGas,

I think a benefit to the GasGas design of the starter gear being only a partial is that the gear disengages from the engine at the end of the kick stroke, so if the engine fires up and runs the kickstarter gear is not touching and if you keep the kickstart lever down for an amount of time the gear will not spin and not cause undo wear.

Have heard of the GasGas design is the kickstart gear will break off teeth if not started with the correct technique.

Were as the Sherco the gear stays engaged and you can hear it spin, etc.. if the kick start lever is in the down position.

Also with Sherco there is a "tab" that separates the starter gears when engine is running, this tab will wear thin and then the two gears will "buzz" and cause undo wear.

Just two different designs, not sure if one is really better than the other. They both work.

• Like 1

There is a "spring" that clips onto the elephant ear shaped kick lever gear, than can fail and or be bent and such when you or maybe someone else replaced the gear (most likely older than 08 bikes the gear has failed at some point)... To where it doesn't grip enough to engage the elephant gear "up" into the idler gear that spins the clutch pack, that starts the bike. I have had to replace these springs, in a couple of older bikes, plus make an adjustment on my bikes, because of "tools" or what have you to get that spring on, loosens the grip, IMHO... I have a write up/reply about it, somewhere on this forum. But what happens is the spring has to be very tight, to the gear, sometimes (if spring is only bent kind of out of shape, but I have had 1 of them where the spring is broken/cracked at the "pan handle" that I had NOT made my "adjustment" on, (aka not my bike) and I was lucky to catch before it broke off and was flinging in the oil/transmission area...)

lemme see if I can find my picture and post maybe. the problem seems to me, that not having knowledge of what the spring does, and how important it is, people "stretch" the spring a little installing it, which can easily cause this problem.

If this spring, that is shaped like a C with a pan handle perpendicular to it, that "handle" part of it, goes into a hole in the clutch case cover. It provides enough friction that as the lever's shaft is TURNED, the gear advances out of the resting place, and engages the idler gear. without the spring or tension it gives, the gear just stays down in it's little hole area and spins. if you ever forget to put that little handle into the hole it will not kick ever, if spring is barely strong enough, then I have seen it just fail to enguage once in a while. you can increase the grip of that spring, if it is NOT damaged in anyway (crack or broken) by carefully squeezing a little with pliers, just inside the very end of the "handle" area, while on the spring. Careful, you can break the spring I bet, if you get too "Godzilla" on that.

Edited by sting32

Have heard of the GasGas design is the kickstart gear will break off teeth if not started with the correct technique.

Partially true AFAIK. The only Gasser that has the problem with the ratchet is the 300 Raga which has higher compression than standard. Normal gassers don't seem to have it (I'm sure somebody will put to rights here). The problem is that the part responsible is supposed to be FORGED and machined. It is not. It is cast and machined.

ive noticed that the shaft that the kick start is attached to is coming out of the casing as its kicked over. you can move it in and out by 15mm or 1/2 in depending on how old you are. could this all be the spring causing this?

ive noticed that the shaft that the kick start is attached to is coming out of the casing as its kicked over. you can move it in and out by 15mm or 1/2 in depending on how old you are. could this all be the spring causing this?

No, you have a huge (1/2 inch) big problem. the shaft is shimed between bearing and the cover, and if you dont get the bearing all the freaking way in you cannot get the cover on all the way.

Rules to know about gasgas, they have video's of how to do a lot of "maintenance" on YouTube.

look for the one about kick starter or splitting the cases...

http://www.youtube.c...SGASinfo/videos this is the "list of videos" he has up there. That's Jim Snell, Parts importer for the USA, the videos were given out to north american customers when bought new, as the "owners manual" on DVD.

Edited by sting32