Was Nostop A Success Or A Failure ?

geeman

So this years World Champoinship is over and we have had a year to see the NoStop rules play out . Will the rules be revised for next year to make the scoring consistant ? I hope some serious thought goes into this process and the riders thoughts as well as the spectators are considered . What would most like to see ???

Based on the opinion polls I've seen it is preferred by significantly fewer people, usually by a 2 to 1 margin than stop allowed.

I personally think that watching riders creep slowly around a section to finally line up for the hits is far less entertaining. Dynamic is certainly NOT the word for it. Instead, Put them on a aggressive clock and let them MX around to buy some time for a few seconds of setup before the hits. Hop all you want - just don't time out. ALOT easier to check! (I wont miss all the videos arguing over what rider stopped where)

Based on the opinion polls I've seen it is preferred by significantly fewer people, usually by a 2 to 1 margin than stop allowed.

I personally think that watching riders creep slowly around a section to finally line up for the hits is far less entertaining. Dynamic is certainly NOT the word for it. Instead, Put them on a aggressive clock and let them MX around to buy some time for a few seconds of setup before the hits. Hop all you want - just don't time out. ALOT easier to check! (I wont miss all the videos arguing over what rider stopped where)

Which poll was 2 to 1 in favour of stop permitted ?

Its still my view that neither set of rules are observed properly or consistently. When you think wtc sections have 3 or 4 observers thats surprising and needs to be recognised.

Edited by baldilocks
  • Like 1

The rules have been a joke, look at any video of any rider and theres evidence to say its not no stop.

Rules were enforced much better before and the fundamental change to no stop hasn't been a success in any way, and could have been achieved by simply reducing the section time limit.

The last round scoring was simply farcical.

I cannot see one thing about the change which is good, the problems are much greater than these rules or any others.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 1

Still a year to go; but I am sure FIM must be working in a "Plan B" for 2015... or at least they should be...

As I wrote in Rapley´s column the mixture top-modern-trials + non-stop has come out bitter.

It´s time to accept that the non-stop rules should always be as they apply them in Scotland with everything that this implies; like it or not. Also that stop rules trials has its own niche of fans; and like it or not again; those fans include not only the younger but also the best riders.

To arrange for a WTC or a National trials is actually complicated and arduous enough as to give a chance to both sides of conceiving the sport of trials, eliminating indoor world championship which is accessed by invitation only and is reserved just for a super small group of best, most spectacular, and paid pilots, creating an indoor trophy that may well bear the name of a commercial house also helping to raise funds. "Coca-Cola XTrials World Series"... or something similar...

"All for one and one for all" the musketeers said...

• Like 3

We went to the World Round at Nord Vue and the "Crowds" were sparser than last year. No fighting to get to the front. Easy enough to see in the Quarry and the "bowl" by the finish. It's not no stop either. The BTC went down to four rounds so you have to ask if the clubs want it. Yorkshire Centre Officials like it. Most riders don't seem to from the numbers. The "well attended" Trials do remain so although numbers are not as strong as they were. Those that weren't well attended remain so and some Trials numbers have been a bit low.

Which poll was 2 to 1 in favour of stop permitted ?

Its still my view that neither set of rules are observed properly or consistently. When you think wtc sections have 3 or 4 observers thats surprising and needs to be recognized.

The Todo site has a current poll that is well over 2:1 against. Ive seen several informal polls on FB as well. I saw one that had about 2:1 and had a breakdown of demographics as well. That was awhile ago though and cant find it now. The demographics broke down exactly as you would think.

it's certainly a tricky one. I watched the BTC and what strikes me is the seeming addiction by certain riders to keep hopping the back wheel when there's really no need. Browny and Dibs seem to be able to cope with 'tick riding' still and the likes of Dan Thorpe just ride tight turns without the farting around. As both Dabster and Greeves said the application of the rules is a lot of the problem (whether stop or no-stop). I do actually prefer no-stop as its clear that mistakes are now punished rather than a rider being able to stop,sort themselves out, line up perfectly etc and there's areal art in keeping going when out of shape.

The big question, however is, who are the rules for? Spectators? No, we forget how miniscule the specator numbers are even at WTC level and I bet the bulk at Bootle last weekend were family members/pals of riders. The rules therefore should be set to allow marks to be taken from riders at all levels that is easily understandable and marking a 'stop' isn't hard. Yes there will be mistakes, but if riders know they will be 5d for stopping they wont do it. Tough for observers to stand their ground - see

. Blindingly obvious it was a stop, but Raga and the crowd were putting pressure on the observers.

Other motorsports have changed rules to make them more manageable/accessible, mainly to the machinery (how fast could F1 and rally cars go if they were de restricted?). Time to look at bikes?

No answers, just my thoughts................

• Like 1