Training Priorities.

mokwepa

Hi guys

Thought i would start a new thread that will help novices (such as me) to practice the more important techniques of trials riding, hopefully with the help of the more experienced guys here.

Basically i would like to make a list of the trials riding techniques that should be practiced and in what order they should be learnt/practiced in relation to importance and difficulty as well as relevance to say, clubman events.

This could be horribly wrong and im sure ill miss some importants steps out, but here is my example:

1. Balance
  2. Figure 8's
  3. Little weelies
  4. Riding over small obstacles (lower than bash plate)
  5. Cambured turns, up & down, tight.
  6. Riding over bigger obstacles (slightly taller than bash plate hight)
  7. Roll overs
  8. Double blip technique
  9. Jap Zap
  10. Hopping front/back wheels left & right
  11. Nose weelie turns
  12. Splatting
  13. Hopping on the rear wheel
  14. Back flips :D

If any of you more experianced riders have the time, please could you add to, delete from and edit my list as to your preferece. I would like to structure my training a bit and try spend more time learning and practicing these techniques. If i free ride, i end up only doing the fun/easy stuff.

Thanks guys.

You are right. Im good at 1-6, not great but good enough for clubman level. Im curious about the order from then on.

What I would like to achieve from this thread is a basic list of what to learn when. I think most beginners are like me and want to do the cool things asap and neglect practicing things within their level and get in over their head, get frustrated and quit because they cant ride like the big boys.

I seriously would like to be good at this sport and have the will power and the time to practice, but I would like to learn efficiently while having fun. Eg, im practicing the japzap on a decent tire but am no where close to needing this technique for events just yet. However, I would like to start buggering arround with the more advanced stuff just for fun and get a feel for it.

Basically I feel stuck with my learning curve. I can do the easy stuff well but am battling with the harder techniques. I would like to tackle one at a time but im not sure which one to start with and what order I should be learning in.

Im guessing there are a few other guys with the same issue?

• Like 1

Between 7-8 should be floating wheelies or turns. Lost technique with all the hopping. Watching a top rider do a proper floating turn is a lost art. Practice both directions. With all the `No stop` riding, this is the one that separates the riders.

• Like 2

Floater turns should be on the list as well.

And as a general rule "clutch control" is HUGE for good riding. need to practice "slipping" the clutch. nice for slow riding up a hillside turning super tight. not an on/off switch.

Best thing you can do is get used to the bike and what it does when you give it certain inputs..............of course that comes with riding and practice.

I guess what I am saying is being on the bike eventually should come as natural to you as walking.

When doing the more advanced techniques there is no time to think "ok now I let out the clutch, give just a little throttle, and push down with my heals" It happens like this " Oh Crap!" wow I pulled it off! or That hurt!.

I think practicing the "flat ground" technical stuff before the big obstacle stuff has a lot of merit to be able to control the bike once on top of the obstacle. (I.E. get on top of the big tire, stop, balance, choose your landing spot, do slight wheelie off tire and land on rear wheel.)

Just my opinions and like they say Opinions are like A**holes.........everbody has one. :D

• Like 1

hi dylan

ok, my opinion, a typical practice day, warm up with basic turns make them tighter as you go along. then move to more demanding turns, camber, floaters etc. your practice sections should be set up for the hardest things you do. if you clean it make it harder, how? by cutting down on your room. less equal harder. steps drop offs get bigger as you get better but once again less run up equals harder.

here is something you may not here much of but trail ride, learn to play with the terrain, bumps jumps anything learn to fear nothing and conquer everything. all your trials technique comes into play and builds endurance. the biggest thing you need is training partners that are way above what you can do.

find someone way better to ride with and you will improve a lot faster.

Basically I feel stuck with my learning curve. I can do the easy stuff well but am battling with the harder techniques.

the harder techniques are nothing more than stringing the basics together. also don't be in such a hurry this is a hobby and is supposed to be fun. it's play time not work.

ok back to the advice

treat each practice session with a purpose, 1- monday turns, 2 - tuesday steps, etc. etc. but most of all lay out sections that have as many places for different techniques as possible. you can practice 10 different techniques on one step, one step can be one drop off. attack steps from different angles......... learn to push yourself outside the box. watch video of the top guys and go out and try it. also i have yet to see video of you falling. pretty much if your not crashing your not trying hard enough. thats why the top guys have 2 or 3 guys to catch them while they train. as for your list 1 - 13 should be used in every section on every ride. it's the only way to get good at all of them is to use all of them constantly.

but, i repeat myself have fun it's a hobby............. good luck

• Like 1

Between 7-8 should be floating wheelies or turns. Lost technique with all the hopping. Watching a top rider do a proper floating turn is a lost art. Practice both directions. With all the `No stop` riding, this is the one that separates the riders.

Nice, i forgot that one. Makes sense.

Thanks for the advice, all valid points. I plan on putting up a few mini sections that cover some of my points eg: figure 8 crossing a bigger log in the middle (cover 1-4) etc. Need to think of some others that cover some other points.

i can ride about 30 min to 1hr every day if i want so i would like to hop on the bike ride this little section then that little section and when im done, ive covered a few of the points. Mybe do that then every second day, just play and free ride. Im dying to ride some natural terain but just cant get to any at the moment (too many elephant arround). Im stuck in my little training spot for the time being.

Thanks guys