New Bike After 10 Years Out...

rr62

About to buy a new bike after 10 years out (but 15 bikes before) and have 2 questions. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but...

1. Looking for something I can ride, jet hose, WD40, go to work on Monday and then ride the next Sunday. My last bikes 10 years back (315 Monts) did this from new to 2 years each time, no problem. OKish clubman rider, don't need to climb cliff faces (wish I could though). Always ridden 2 strokes. Prefer something light but well put together and with really good dealer/spares support.

2. Might sound random, but given I am looking for a new bike, why doesn't TMX have a proper bike guide/review section. Having read/subscribed since the '70's, they totally sit on the fence on pretty much every review they give ('all modern bikes are the same...blah, blah, etc') - any other sports journal I read (be it surfing, snowboarding, mountain biking or whatever) is perfectly capable of having a decent point of view with real positives/negatives. . And there's no excuse to say 'well it keeps the importers advertising' - any other newspaper doesn't have to placate advertisers through 'soft' editorial. Not running TMX down in any way - brilliant journal that I've bought for last 35 years, but more editorial integrity on bike tests would help.

So 1) what bike should I get?; and 2) where can I get a decent and unbiased review on the trials bikes in the UK.

Thanks all for any help.

Cheers.

Rob

most trials bike are easy on maintenance, i've owned gas gas , beta and sherco. i've bought used and new. i've never had any real problems or issues with any of them. most of the time the work i've had to do on them is from my crashing and messing stuff up. from what i read on theses forums i probably do less tinkering with my bike than most, i just wash, change transmission fluids every 6 months, clean air filter as needed spark plug once a year just because.

rob

If you've had 315's before and found they suit your needs, get another one. Worth taking your time to find a good 'un. It'll save you loads of money and hold its value while a new bike is pricey and immediately depreciates, and you'll be hard pressed to notice any difference in performance. The last model in the series (white, 2003?) is reckoned to be the best, but you probably know that already. Go for it!

I've ridden and wrenched them all (except Ossa and Jotagas) and I've always liked Sherco best.

Although...being one of the "mortals" I think I would never notice anything lost from a link-less suspension.

I love the simplicity of the Beta and the Scorpa, and DAMN are they sexy!

I don't think you can go wrong with the build quality on a Beta or Scorpa,