Beta Evo 4T Fan Running All The Time

levis

I'm concern about my new bike I bought used. It's a 2011 beta evo 4t 300 and the fan is running almost all the time. After the engine warms up a little bit and when I ride It keeps running. Is It normal?

thanks

Edited by levis

You're right It's been kind of warm ever since I got It. That might explain the spin. Still thinking Ithe engine should run cooler or the temp sensor reading gives wrong value. I'll check what zerorev3rev4 said.

Let you know. Thanks

Edited by levis

Mine fan never ran all the time. Perhaps you have a radiator thermo switch which is a little off where it should be. Get a new one or borrow one for a test.

The Beta 4t bikes are shipped lean to pass emissions testing. Raise the needle 2 notches and the bike will run and start amazing. I did and it does.

Ralphy

Thanks nzralphy,

Great info!

One point I had improved though (before checking the radiator switch) is that my bike was a pain to restart cold and hot. Yes something added to but maybe not related to the fan. I bought the bike from a guy who put an "Arrow bosi 4t" exhaust pipe on It and He told me that he had to increase the mixture. But I'm not sure if he adjusted the needle or the pilot screw. Anyway I tried to locate this tricky srew and turned It in maybe half a turn until I felt the rev getting better. Since then It starts much better.

So by leaning It a bit more in the low revs It runs better. I might have put the setting back to stock now (for my stock exhaust) and have to investigate on the needle now as nzralphy said to have It run cooler. The question is how do I know that the needle hadn't been ajusted since the lean adjustment for the emission test? The needle might have already been adjusted richer as well for the after market exhaust. Is there any needle stock position that you are aware of I might look into?

Edited by levis

Middle clip position is factory position I think. I've put my clip on the bottom clip to raise the needle. Hey be very careful to put the rubber diaphragm back in correctly as they a bitch to put in. Approx 2.5 - 2.75 turns out for the mixture screw.

Let us know how it runs

• 2 years later...

I'm now diging into it since my fan is still bothering me. I've heard that the impeller could be the cause and changing it by a jitsy one might solve the problem.

Do you know if I can check the impeller without loosing any coolant or do I have to purge everything once I open the cover?

Thanks

Edited by levis
  • Like 1

you might want to drain the system to make sure there is the correct amount of coolant in bike.   if ti's clean, you can re use it.

my used beta barely had any coolant in system and had a busted stock impeller. good thing I went thru the basics before riding it....although I've heard these motors can take some abuse.

Ok I removed the cover as you said and only just a bit of the coolant spilled. I removed the impeller to check and it seems ok for me. So nothing wrong with the pump system I guess. Got dissapointed a bit!

I'll have to investigate somewhere else to understand why my 4 strokes fan goes off so quickly...

By the way I wonder if anyone put a racing impeller kit on the their bike and how much temperature drop they finally got. Would it still worth the kit to reduce the eat? I heard also that alloy impeller is a way to go over the plastic one..doesn't melt.

20151010.jpg20151011.jpg

This one is made of plastic.

The link to the alloy kit (2 strokes):

http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/products/jitsie-beta-evo-water-pump-impeller-kit

pump_k10.jpg

Edited by levis

I think the 2 stroke impeller is wrong direction and may make things worse. I would check the termo switch and the air passage through the radiator.

I have the factory titanium silencer and the fan never runs all the time. Bosi silencer should be about the same.

Carl

Thanks carl,

Yes you're right. I didn't think about that. I believe that the impeller is turning toward the front (clockwise) on mine. Do you remember if you had the fan running prematurely with the OEM silencer?

I don't understand why they didn't provide any after market racing kit for the evo 4T since the 4 strokes engine brings more heat than the 2 strokes!

Do you know how to check the air passage through the radiator?

Edited by levis

Is the fan running at full speed?

I seem to remember seeing a capacitor on the wiring diagram (I think) if the capacitor is faulty you could have a fan running at low speed or even running in the wrong direction!

No, It runs at full speed I guess. When the engine is idle or when riding at low revs the fan makes more noise than the engine! :rolleyes:

Of course it's stops after a little while if I don't pull again the throtle.

Edited by levis