Fim New Trial Rules 2013 Assesment

nzpete

Just had a email from my federation of the new trial rules 2013 assessment. Take a look it must be on the FIM website. Rose coloured specs. The assessment was done by someone with one eye that is full of non stop. The way I read it all is the problems they have had is caused by section setters, riders, or observers. Well that's true, that's all you can blame theres no one else. A couple of things that made me smile

Riders need technical and strategic adaption

Observers to adapt their way of seeing in order to judge not moving forwards in the same way as they had been used to judging moving backwards for many years.

You would at least think the FIM assessment be more of a balanced view good, bad, ugly as it has not been a bed of roses.

Have a great weekend and I hope the observers at your event adapt there way of seeing

Few things "work" when people go out of their way to make them fail.

:agreed:

You can like it or not; you can prefer stop or non-stop; you can claim the right of having stop rules trials; true that FIM is quite egocentric; but this written by b40rt is a painfull truth.

:agreed:

You can like it or not; you can prefer stop or non-stop; you can claim the right of having stop rules trials; true that FIM is quite egocentric; but this written by b40rt is a painfull truth.

I only saw a complaint against one Trial this year so that comment seems to be grasping at straws along with b40rt's. I did attend the first day of the World Trial at Penrith and I would not consider that a "success". Either on crowd numbers or as a "No-Stop" event.

Today our New Zealand Trial Convenor (Jim Henderson) sent out a letter from Vito Ippolito, FIM President, which defends the decision to go nonstop. Here is what I wrote to the NZ trial community:

Jim said: "No doubt this letter (from the FIM President) will not appeal to all, if any."

Sorry everyone, but I feel moved to comment. Senor Ippolito has appealed to my bull**** detector Jim.

If the rule changes were that fabulous the President wouldn't have to say anything. Just bow and smile as we clap and throw money and flowers. That he should weigh in at this stage makes FIM seem more than a little insecure.

I'm not in awe of his position, and not impressed by his arguments. Take the opening sentence: "Just a few months ago, the FIM took a courageous and ambitious decision to make major changes to the rules of Trial which, as you know, is in a very precarious situation." Let's strip this pompous rubbish of it's emotional content, which will give us: "On (insert the date) the FIM made changes to the rules of the World Outdoor Trial Championship." Courageous and ambitious? The decision for all we know, may have been stupid or on the advice of people with some other agenda. And as for "As you know" well that's just pure humbug! He doesn't know what we know, and Trial is not in a precarious situation. Not here, anyway.

His letter is a polemic; an opinion piece designed to persuade and not to inform. I could rip the rest of it to shreds with the greatest of ease and there'd be bless all left. "As you know, his arguments are in a very precarious situation." !!! But then again, how many of you would still be reading by the end of such a display of savagery?

At this end of the season one might expect FIM to be in possession of some real data about how many more entries were obtained and how many more spectators were attracted, how much more money was made. Not a single fact do we have from Senor Ippolito. If FIM are so convinced, so "courageous and ambitious" how come the X-Trial hasn't also been made non-stop? All this talk of coherence and unity simply highlight FIM nervousness about the division that they have created between them and the people they supposedly serve.

Quite enough already ... Sidey (Mark Sidebotham, Ixion MCC, Wellington NZ).

I think there would be much more respect if the FIM simply had changed the rules for a reason, and stated what the reason was, so them and the whole world could measure the success or not?

The most disappointing thing to me is that they said there would be other changes but there haven't, and that it seems to have been glossed over.

Is there one more participant in the top route?

Has one extra bike been sold?

Are applications increasing to take up the sport?

If the todo site poll is any indication, then I would say success is not a word to be used when describing the change. (2.5 to 1 prefer stop allowed). However, I have no idea if this poll is truly (&fairly) representative. But at least its a data point - haven't seen the FIM data. Would be nice to see if they have any. (I wont hold my breath given there history)

Forget the rules for a moment, the problem with lack of entrys is cost, which the FIM seem to overlook.. Travel to and from well not a lot can be done about that. Bike costs are they that expensive, compere them to a MX or enduro bike. I know plenty think we should go back to riding old technology. Licences that is set by the FIM and they could reduce that. Insurance why cant the FIM strike a deal with some insurance company that would reduce the cost. Now people who are reading this that don't realise here is a example of skyrocket costs.

Mens New Zealand TDN team each rider had to have a NZ competition licence plus

Fim licence 250nz$

insurance 450nz$

700 nz$ that's about 350 pound plus entry fee (don't know what that was our federation paid that) and you can now ride in the TDN. Remember that's per rider, plus bike and running costs. Add to that another lot of insurance and 60 quid FIM licence per minder and costs are creeping up. I forgot to mention your medical to get your FIM licence (we pay for that you may get it free in UK)

So 350 quid for 2 laps of 18 sections that's 10 quid per section.

Why is the FIM licence so expensive, Insurance for a kiwi to compete in Europe is 3675 nz$ or 1837gb pounds approx. per year more for the USA. That is insurance for just competing remember not travel.

IT cost our TDN team half the cost of a new bike per rider, for one event they could not afford to ride the world round the week before as that was more insurance and more licence, so why don't the FIM try to reduce the cost that they can control.

The rules have little to do with falling entrys

Pete Haynes

• Like 3