Funky Elbow?

mokwepa

Since I have began riding trials I have developed a issue with my right elbow.

It is incredibly painful off the bike and even more so on the bike. It only seemed to become a issue when I started practicing how to hop both front and back.

It feels like its just under my not so funny bone on the right side.

Anyone with similar issues or input??

Borus is probably correct about it being tennis elbow, as he says don't ride through the pain. It probably hurts more when you grip hard, if so then don't practice hops or anything that can't be done with a loose grip. Mine has taken about 2 months to ease up but is not completely cured. you have to take it easy for a while or it can take a long time to get better.

• Like 1

It only seemed to become a issue when I started practicing how to hop both front and back. Anyone with input??

See 'linkage', 'bushes', 'replacement', or regular greasing of joints.

Seriously, in the same way that if you are driving for any distance and get uncomfortable the first thing you do is make a small adjustment to your car seat, so too here. Consider moving your handlebars forward as the angle of the bars affects the leverage out at the elbow. To avoid tennis elbow, my Dr says you want both forearm and upper arm to the share in any heavy workload. Try small adjustment in bars, if only while you are practicing.

• Like 1

Ya that sounds like my left elbow, welcome to the team

I'm not sure there is a cure, just gotta not use it

My left elbow has been like that for at least 3 months. Mine coincided with an increase in the amount of pushups I was doing, in an effort to get in shape & lose weight.... :wall: Evidentally, I've put on enough weight where it's more of a strain for my arms than it used to be....... :blush::hyper:

0007, or others here, did you stay completely off your bike for a couple of months, or just "modify" what & how you rode? I have been to the Dr., and his diagnosis was indeed a case of tennis elbow (inflamed tendon?). Ice & rest were his recommendation, but I really don't want stop riding for that long, or not until the weather gets really lousy.....

Mokwepa, I hope yours heals fast, along with everyone else here that's plagued with this.....

Jimmie

Unfortunately it also seems to be a thing with age. I`ve had it pretty bad going on four years now. The only thing I have not tried is acupuncture. It was so bad at one point every bump and stone hurt weather on a motorcycle or bike. Worst thing is the pain screws up your timing. I feel almost normal if I don`t ride. I started trials in `72 and do not plan on quitting. Vintage has become looking pretty good. By the way my wife`s been in physical therapy since `95 so I`ve seen, heard, been tortured and helped in all sort of ways. Good luck, stretching is the best.

I have the same thing with my right elbow. this is the second time around. First time I did a drop off and "jarred" my elbow on the landing. Took 6 months to heal up. This time around I gave bike a little "extra" throttle and it tried to rip my arms off. This time took almost a year to heal and it still not 100%. But I am not smart enough to rest it or ice it.. I kept riding the same as before and kept my work the same as before............I really believe this slowed down my recovery.

• Like 1

yep, any pain in the elbow a rider should shut it down immediately. ice, rest, stretch, strengthen, slow down riding when back on the bike. make sure the shoulders are well stretched out also. Try riding not covering the front brake and clutch levers. After 10 min of riding do more stretches to relax your arms and allow blood to flow, no hopping, stay smooth. last is, if you have a sharp powered bike off the bottom modify the bike to a smooth, easy power. Not trying sell bikes here but the new models now are powered for non-stop therefore off the bottom they are very easy to ride for everyone. no sharp snap off the bottom, much easier on the body. Novice riders can now ride 300's with a slow throttle with ease as the bike is not jerking them around.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Elbow is still killing me but being off the bike is killing me even more.

Would a anti inflammatory help, dicoflaf or cataflam help speed things up? Im on the 13 beta now and dying to train. Next trial is on the 10th November. Come hell or high water im riding it but need a bit of peg time before.

?? Pls dont tell me to miss the trial and stay off the bike for that long or longer, I promise it wont happen. Meds, should I use and/or anything thats recommended?

Get a strap that is advertised for tennis elbow, Goes around forearm just below elbow. Does not look like it should work but does. Been through this a couple of times. Unfortunately I have found this happens when I am riding good - ie more pressure on the arms and less on the soles of the feet dabbing. No pain no gain I guess?

• Like 1

Mokwepa,

Anti-inflammatory pills were another thing my dr. recommended that I forgot to mention earlier (I just saw him last week for this deal). He said to take "over-the-counter" NSAIDs ("Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs"). Here in the states, we have these you can get w/o a dr. prescription called Aleve, or Advil, or Ibuprofen, & such. I'm not keen on taking pills, but may have to start. This has been lingering on for awhile now. I'm actually typing this with my elbow resting on an ice pack, something else I haven't been too good about doing......

And like Jimmyl said, the bandages that go around your upper forearm/below the elbow area and apply pressure where the tendon is sore were recommended to me by a physical thereapist friend of mine. It does seem to help somewhat........

Ya know, I almost wonder if it couldn't have something to do with the the handlebars on our trials motorcycles, or the angle we have them adjusted at, or the levers/angle, or even the width of the bars. Or maybe front suspension setup??? (did someone mention this already?) I dunno..... I rode mx & offroad for years, quitting those to take up trials last year when I was 56 years old, and never had this problem. Arm pump never was much of a problem for me, and still isn't. I'd thought it could be an "old age" thing, but we have older guys than myself in our club with no such problems, and then we have Dylan and others who are younger than myself (everybody is younger than me, my kids tell me.....) who are bothered by this, Curious.....

Jimmie

I don't mind being sore after riding and the next day or so, but, if I experience pain while riding I've learned that it's time for some maintenance and I'll ride another day. With elbows especially trying to ride through pain can set you back 6 months to a year. We have it in our heads that we will soldier through but riding with tennis elbow constantly is no fun.

Fellow elbow sufferers;

I’ve been lucky to ride for some time without too many inherent skeletal or muscular niggles, but.....

Following a two day event in August involving 120 sections I fell victim to what I am told is tennis elbow, (not w*^”@”s cramp as diagnosed by Dr. Munch), it’s still giving me trouble.

In an effort self cure I searched youtube for Tennis Elbow physio/exercise and came up with three vids that have truly eased the pain.

One involves an across the joint massage, I had been rubbing along it.

The second is an extended arm palm down wrist stretch.

The third, a rotational exercise involving a hammer for weight, I use a substantial club hammer for this on the assumption that Trials riders should be above average in this dept.

I can say with all confidences that after 5 days my elbow is a lot better.

Have a search and try out the remedies.

Fred Savage.