First Trial Bike

steffenland

Hi,

Im thinking about buying my first trail bike, money isnt rly an issue altough i wanna buy a slightly used 2nd hand.

I want a model with some durabilety that can handle my weight

Im a tall guy, 6`3 (193cm) and 105kg.

Im gonna use it mostly off road, on mud, grass, rocks....

GasGas is considered as the top brand if I understand it correctly.

Whats the difference between the txt racing, pro and raga?

280 or 300cc?

What do you guys recommend?

Edited by steffenland

When money's not an issue I wouldn't go for an older bike. The newer ones ride better.

The TXT Pro is the standart model, the racing has some trick parts, for instance Titanium exhaust and the Raga even more trick parts like lighter triple clamps...

You could have found this here: http://www.gasgasmot...s/en/trial.html

The 280 has a more aggressive power delivery, the 300 is very strong, lots of bottom power but more cotrolable so i'm told (lots of info about this on the Gasgas forum)

Edited by guys

the cost thing isnt the only good reason to go for an earlier bike to start off with.. an earlier bike will still do all the things you ask it to do and more, but the point im making and so often gets snubbed off is, the earlier bikes will progress you as a rider quicker..

eg go to the track in a nissan gtr and you can go fast but the car with all its refinements is doing most of the work for you.....

so when you decide you enjoy it and can ride comfortably, imagine what a leap up it is on a lighter,more nimble, refined machine.....

imo

Buy whatever your riding partners ride,carry one set of spares for everyone,share advice on tuning,setup. If no trials riding partners find some,trials is hard to improve at without others around.Oh yea,and enter events,don't just play ride.

so a 300cc should be easier to handle for a beginner? Yes, but a 250cc is even better for a beginner. But with your weight a 300 might not be a bad idea...

Can i assume that the txt pro is a more durable model? Not sure but I think it's about the same, engine, frame and swing arm are the same imo

But if you want a durable bike, get a Montesa 315R or a 4RT

Edited by guys

hello and welcome

have you ridden any type of motorcycle before? if you can ride then any bike is a good starter bike just get one and ride. for your size any bike works. but for skill level lower HP = less stress while learning. a newer bike will have a better resale value when you get some time riding and really can make a decision on what you like. any bike will do more than 99.99% of the mere mortals on the planet. just remember if you fall any bike can break and that is where most noobs spend most of there money. trials is an easy sport on equipment unless you break it.

get a bike get some friends and have some fun. after a while you will get to know what YOU want. everyone has their favorite so just remember opinions differ..........

rob

• Like 1

My experience is limited to some enduro and I used to be into bmx...

there isnt any trail riders around, and I cant rly try a bike out before buying one. I think ill buy a gasgas txt 300 and then just make it or break it.

what about adjusting the carbs down?

My experience is limited to some enduro and I used to be into bmx...

there isnt any trail riders around, and I cant rly try a bike out before buying one. I think ill buy a gasgas txt 300 and then just make it or break it.

what about adjusting the carbs down?

I have ridden Enduro and MX for a few years but bought a trials bike a few months back after a bad MX accident (snapped my right arm) in April. I sold the crosser as I need a year off to recover so ended up buying a 2013 Beta Evo 300 to play on. I chose a 300 as I want to use the bike a bit like a light weight Enduro bike and not just slow trials stuff. I put a slow action throttle on the bike as my right arm is still weak. It feels great and has loads of low end torque. I find the power delivery on the bike feels tame compared to an Enduro or MX bike and am glad I went for a 300. I guess I am not really a trials rider but am starting to enjoy the technical riding and lifting the front wheel up over obstacles so the bug has bitten quite hard. So I would say go a for a 300 and if you want to tame it put a slow action throttle on, and or a smaller front sprocket.

I am 6'2" and put 6" high Jitsie bars on the bike which is essential as the bikes are tiny - recommend you so the same.

Edited by pmski

You definitely DO NOT want to put on a smaller front sprocket in order to tame a trials bike down. It still amazes me how people get this wrong!

I would agree with that in theory - however when I was ordering two finger brake/clutch levers I asked the owner of www.trialsuk.co.uk about this and he suggested a smaller front 10 tooth sprocket if you want to slow a 300 down a bit for lower speed riding which makes sense.