Exhaust 4 Rt - Mitani, Termignoni Or Original?

german munster

Looks wise the Termi is one to have, but actually the Mitani is lighter and cheaper. Both are slightly louder than the standard pipe. If price is not a problem, go for the Termi, you can choose from either a stainless steel header or a Titanium header. The only only concern with the Termi, would be crash damage, although Mitani do make a Carbon skin to protect the silencer.

The Mitani is mainly Titanium construction, so is very light and you can buy two types of carbon covers.

Edited by shedracer

I suspect you'll find that, regrettably, you're the only 4RT owner concerned about the appalling racket these things kick out.

I think you may be referring to pre 09 4rt's, after 09, they were much quieter and don't have the crack of the older ones. I have never had anyone, say that my 4rt is too noisy. Have you ever been to a pre 65/twin shock event, some of those bikes are loud and not just the 4 strokes.

Anyway, to answer the OP questions, the standard is the quietest, looks good, but is about twice the weight of the Mitani system. Termignoni is the most expensive and I'd say probably the loudest, but looks the best, but if you bin it, you could wreck it, whereas the others have covers. Neither the Mitani or Termi have been designed to inter grate with the new rear mudguard, the mitani would require either the carbon cover moding or the mudguard/air box shield cutting down, you'd also need the old pre 09 silencer/mudguard mount bracket. The Termi also requires this bracket. (Touch the pic for full image)

post-14348-0-03576800-1383601244_thumb.jpg

Edited by jj65

I have, but there's not much we can do about what is effectively 1940's technology. In the 21st century the world's largest motorcyle manufacturer can, and should, like the two stroke manufacturers, be building competition bikes to fit in with modern requirements.

Well thats your opinion, which your entitled to, but actually the Honda 4 stroke engine is much more advanced and environmentally friendly than most two stroke engines. The other manufacturers have tried to produce 4 stroke engines, but have given up (apart from Beta, who uses another manufactures engine), due to the high costs of a high tech modern 4 stroke. As to you saying they don't fit with modern requirements, I have to disagree, the new 260 4RT is selling well in Europe, even though they are more expensive. They fit mine and many others requirements very well. ;-) The 4 stroke may not be everyone's cup of tea, but at least we have a choice, life would be boring if we all rode the same bike. ;-)

Edited by shedracer
  • Like 4

Indeed Shedracer, I accept your good-natured comments, but when I say modern demands I don't mean those of the trials rider. Unfortunately it's not your opinion or mine that really counts but that of the lay person and we'd have a job convincing him that the the 4RT is anything other than unacceptably loud for this day and age. Especially if he has to listen to rorty exhausts from a trial echoing across the valley whilst trying to enjoy his garden or a round of golf.

I just find it strange that a company with Honda's "social credentials" turns out something like this when once they made the quietest trials bike in the world. If a tiny outfit like Beta can produce a pretty well silent fourstroke trials bike then surely the company that produces a 180 mph motorcycle with an almost inaudible exhaust can do better than it does with a trials bike.

There's not time to get involved in a detailed discussion about the environmental differences between two and fourstroke motors in the trials context but there's more to it than the composition of the gases that come out the pipe. Given the comparatively small amount of petrol consumed during the average trial the difference between the two is negligible in that respect and completely wiped out by the bikes being carted round in something the size of a small bus as is often the case.

And by the way, while I have only ever owned two stroke trials bikes apart from a brief spell with a monstrosity of a TL 250 back in the day, I do appreciate the four stroke trials bike, having been privileged to ride some pretty good examples of the British variety (whilst keeping the revs below ten thousand to reduce the noise a bit :) )

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Indeed Shedracer, I accept your good-natured comments, but when I say modern demands I don't mean those of the trials rider. Unfortunately it's not your opinion or mine that really counts but that of the lay person and we'd have a job convincing him that the the 4RT is anything other than unacceptably loud for this day and age. Especially if he has to listen to rorty exhausts from a trial echoing across the valley whilst trying to enjoy his garden or a round of golf.

I just find it strange that a company with Honda's "social credentials" turns out something like this when once they made the quietest trials bike in the world. If a tiny outfit like Beta can produce a pretty well silent fourstroke trials bike then surely the company that produces a 180 mph motorcycle with an almost inaudible exhaust can do better than it does with a trials bike.

There's not time to get involved in a detailed discussion about the environmental differences between two and fourstroke motors in the trials context but there's more to it than the composition of the gases that come out the pipe. Given the comparatively small amount of petrol consumed during the average trial the difference between the two is negligible in that respect and completely wiped out by the bikes being carted round in something the size of a small bus as is often the case.

And by the way, while I have only ever owned two stroke trials bikes apart from a brief spell with a monstrosity of a TL 250 back in the day, I do appreciate the four stroke trials bike, having been privileged to ride some pretty good examples of the British variety (whilst keeping the revs below ten thousand to reduce the noise a bit :) )

You have a fair point 2stroke4stroke, but we as the consumer have little impact on a huge organisation like Honda, they do what wish and what suits them. I know we have a choice in whether we buy one or not, but as a lover of 4 strokes, I tried a Beta and didn't like it, so as others have found, the 4RT is the one to have for me. I don't think they are as noisy as the motocross and enduro bikes and we tend not to be constant thrashing them at high revs as the MX and enduros do.

Edited by shedracer

Well jj I regard what happens on these places as a conversation, albeit an electronic one, and, like any real conversation, as long as it’s kept polite it goes where it goes.

Notwithstanding that I don't think I have hijacked anything. My first post really only expressed sympathy with the OP's evident concern where he raised the issue of silencing the 4RT. Subsequent posts by me have continued on that particular subject only, in response to replies, save where I made reference to side issues quite reasonably raised by others.

A good friend offered me a Mitani header-pipe for my '07 4RT, but in the end I stuck with the Standard pipe, and dumbed down the performance even more with a Jitsie 'DB Killer.

Look closely at the end of the pipe and you can see it.

Bike is doing 14,000 rpm in this photo and no one cares.

Mootessa.gif

"DB Killer" interrupts exhaust gas flow with two mesh screens about 15mm apart.

Comes annodised red when new but soon discolours to a gold hue with heat.

8bc65d8b-2041-451d-aef6-806ea689cc78.jpg

Edited by ross brown

• 11 months later...

Thanks all for answer. When my new 4 RT 260 will arrive, I first try it with original exhaust, and then will see...

@ross brawn, the silencer cannot be used at the newer exhaust.

German Munster

Now it can:

KTP-4.jpg