Gear Lever Fell Off.

stimpy

This bike is starting to really get on my nerves. 2003 250pro mint condition and a joy to ride when I can. Rode it last night all was great, just up and down the road to check it out. Loaded it up this morning at 6.30 am and all is great, Drive 35 miles unload and get ready to ride and the "swear word" gear lever has gone awol :D . During the obvious extreme loads placed on it whilst on the trailer it fell off. Unlike most bikes there is no retention groove in the gear shaft so if it comes at all loose it will just fall off. Considering I rode it last night it certainly was not obviously loose. After all the weetaking about the smart bike I can't ride I had to just pack up and go home. I've had a few other problems and things like the airbox boot just make me think that these bikes are just let down by some real poor design details. I'm seriously thinking about flogging it and buying something else.

So check the tightness on yours, in fact check everything before every ride cos it certainly aint no jap bike......

Last time I lost a shifter was on a Harley.

Actually, I dropped the bike crossing a creek (don't ask) and snapped it.

Snap some visegrips on the shaft, a ziptie on the handle and down the road!

Actually...I have used a small set of visegrips for just about every lever or pedal possible.

Even used a pair to hold a broken clutch cable together.

They've always been the same, you need to tighten everything up after every ride! And lots of loctite!!

Lost the plot with mine now. threaded one of the clutch casing bolts into the crankcase, whilst tightening it up with me fingers :D . Quality is poor! :D

You have to keep everything tight, but their soooo easy to over tighten threads, theres an art to it :D

the gear levers themselves are crap! they bend just looking at them, lucky if one lasts me a month. Oh well, apart from that, There good! :D

By the way, love the tittle you gave this topic - very Gas Gas! :)

Edited by Jools

I feel your pain...I went riding one day and the bike stopped...ran out of gas no less. Poor design not having a warning light or spare fuel tank :D

Sorry, don't mean to take a p*** at you, but r2 and the others are right. You need to check fasteners from time to time as part of normal maintenance. I can assure you having owned many bikes over the years, that all will have bits fall off if left unattended. I've got several Beta/Sherco bits in my kit bag that I've picked up during trials, but this is in no way a fault of the bike.

Edited by JTT

My GasGas had the same problem. I know some people are playing devils advocate because of the way the original post was written, but it is heart wrenching sometimes when you sit and watch a trial for some daft reason, so here's my sympathetic reply :D .

A couple of GasGas gear lever's I've seen even when new, didn't have much gap to be taken up, so even when fully tightened didn't have a real good grip of the shaft.

This as well as the fact that the metal is very soft and the thread fairly loose can help losing the bugger. You daren't really go tight enough sometimes on the standard thread. I stripped mine straight away.

When I bought my new one, I widened the gap, and tapped out the thread with a slightly larger one. From memory I think when I replaced the bolt I used a normal bolt head as well as it could be difficult to get to the hex key if you haven't got ball ended hex keys to hand.

If the new one's dodgy, get it filed out, tapped out, and get some loctite on it.

P.S. I was scared of snapping the bugger when opening it wide enough to get a file in. Got impatient with the wet and dry, so widened it as much as I dare, then "carefully" :D slipped a grinder in between.

Yeah I know, but it's only a bodge job if it doesn't work :)

Edited by bikespace

I know, I know..Just gets a little annoying :D . Annoyed with myself, I'm a proffesional engineer and meticulous with maintainance. It was'nt loose on the splines and just can't believe I missed it. Race a Yamaha MX bike which gets the nuts wrung out of it and it has not once let me down. To have a failure on the trailer is a first for me. :D

I was more hacked off there was no retention groove on the shaft. Normally this stops them coming off if they do come loose, you have to remove the bolt to get the lever off.

Ordered another one so apart from a wasted day and another financial drain all is well. Mind you I still find the "plastic" carb boot a right pain, is there no rubber in Andorra...

Just read "bikespace's" post and looks like good advice. Will make sure the new one is on there good and proper

Stimpy, you might want to try a little dot of silicone sealant on the end of the shaft next time round, at least then if the bolt does loosen again, the shifter won't fall off. Keep a close eye on your rear brake lever pivot bolt too, as I've seen these fall off on several occasions.

The GG Enduro ones have a snap ring on the shaft, as well as the clamping bolt. Would have been a nice addition to the Trials models too I guess.