Bleeding Clutch

southwester

Hi

After my engine being apart and I am putting the clutch fluid on my rev3 back in, in through the master cylinder and out of bleed nipple all the air bubbles seem to be gone after I was purging it through and left it for a few hours but when I now pull the lever in after a few pulls it won't pull back in to the bar (acts like the front brake) the first pump after a purge is ok but gets progressively worse until it will only pull in 1/2 way.

Anybody got any ideas about why that is? it wasn't like that before I took it apart:)

Did you have the clutch apart. The pressure plate could be misaligned.

Yes I have had all the clutch components completely apart

It does sound like the fluid is not returning to the reservoir, take the rubber boot off behind the lever and make sure the plunger is moving freely. There is a spring in there and they do wear out.

TLTEL

I will check that

Easy to misunderstand what you are describing here. I think the key statement is that it is acting like the front brake. The clutch is about as simple an actuating mechanism as you can get. That means the problem is simple to diagnose so no panic.

The main difference between the brake and clutch is the clutch is supposed to have sufficient travel in the slave cylinder to take all the fluid the master cylinder can give it. On the brake that slave cylinder's travel is limited so that there is resistance before the master cylinder can be completely emptied of fluid. So if your clutch is acting like the brake something is stopping the slave cylinder before it can absorb all the master cylinder fluid. Two things can cause this,

1. The slave cylinder travel is offset because the spacing between the actuator and the pressure plate is too short and the slave cylinder has treid to compensate by using some of its travel and you are running into the end of the the slave cylinder's travel. This is the most likely scenario and is because some piece got left out or replaced with the wrong piece. Often the ball bearing that decouples the spin of the clutch mechanism from the non-rotating slave cylinder. Other possibilities are missing/ misassembled thrust washers/bearings on the pressure plate.

2. Something is binding in the clutch actuator mechanism.

If you pull the clutch cover off make sure the pressure plate is fully engaged with the clutch pack. Actuate the clutch and see if the pressure plate moves. These two things indicate the mechanism is free. Time to disassemble and make sure all the parts are where they belong. My guess is you'll find something not where it is supposed to be.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys everybody.

I didn't put a ball bearing between the 2 push rods I must of missed that when I took it apart!

I will disassemble now and have a look at the set up I was hoping to have a blast this weekend so if there is anything else up with it I can get it sorted so I can get a ride or 2 in over Christmas.

I've just noticed it looks like there's a leak coming from where the push rod actuated by the lever is sealed into the master cylinder.

Cheers

I just had a look at the motor diagram and it shows a bearing between the 2 push rods and a washer between the pressure plate and thrust bearing which I don't have on there either so this is the problem? I was pretty carefull when I took everything apart so surprised how I've lost 2 pieces!