Tlr 200 What Are They Like

nelly1

I think the truth is they aren't that good - as standard. Modified they are better,but there are still better twinshock bikes around. Yes they are reliable,but I find they don't steer too well,esp compared to a Yam or Fantic. And the other thing is the engine,the two strokes are much easier to ride and less likely to stall,although the TLR200 is much better than the TLR250 in not stalling.As standard the clutch was rubbish,but is easily sorted.

The two best things about them is they way look and the way they sound - but neither helps much in cleaning a section...

A TY175 or better still a 250 is a better bike to ride if you are comparing bog stock bikes,not much steers and grips better than a TY250.

But then I might be biased,and its only my opinion.... ;)

Can't speak for the UK specTLR's, but the American spec TLR's (Reflexes) are.....challenging.

Heavy, slow, not really geared correctly, but cheap and (at least they used to be) plentiful. Stone-axe reliable also. TLR's will take an amazing amount of abuse and keep going. Try that with a mid-80's Spanish bike and, well......

I guess it all depends on what you want out of the bike. If you want to "get your feet wet" in Vintage Trials, then the TLR is not a bad choice. If you are already an accomplished Trials rider and serious, I'd look at either heavily modifying the TLR or choosing a "real" Trialer from the same era. You decide.

I enjoy mine for farting around on... but not really a trials bike. I only ride it a few times a year and really should sell it (kind of hoped my wife or kids would take an interest in it but that didn't happen). It typically starts up second kick and you really can't kill it. It runs great and pretty hard to stall even at really low speed. I am a little over 6ft so it isn't great for sitting on, I would strongly suggest you see how it fits you before buying one. There is a website that you can get all sorts of farkles for it http://www.bjracing.com/tlr200.html but mine is pretty much stock and runs fine. If you are really interested in doing some trials I would suggest getting a modern trials bike. If you are just looking for cheap transportation that is really good fun to ride the TLR is a good choice.

I should note that I have been taking a keen look at the OSSA explorer and Sherco X-ride as a modern day replacement for the TLR :).

so i guess its like a pre 65 but bomb proof

If you want pre 65 feeling with japanese quality, try TL250, I love the big iron...

A TLR200 is much easier to ride, very smooth engine, not for high level rider who wants to be winners, but for having fun for normal people....

A Fantic200 is cheaper, better and has more power, but if you once tested the little fourstroke, you will know why so many people love it...

Edited by hendrik

I've had one for about 3.5 years now absolutely bullet prof engine but keep the oil changed regular as the cam runs in the head not on bearings and once a tear clean the oil spinner out, as for mods the main one is repositioning the footrest down and back about 25mm as for altering the steering angle unless your riding on harder routes don't bother.

I've fitted 400mm betor gas shocks to mine and I find they work well for £100 shocks plus being longer than the standard 200 ones it raises the rear a little making the steering a little better, I use 5w or 7.5w oil in the forks and 10/44 sprockets.

yes there are better t/s bikes out there but reliability wise you better a TLR

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/gallery/image/3549-tlr-200/

Edited by mont315

i think il change my mind then

It was not my intention to completey change your mind. Just reporting my experiences.

In all honesty, I enjoy competing on my 'Flex, otherwise known as OJ. Silly-assed build/rant here -

http://www.advrider....ad.php?t=562129

Take your time. 'Tis a long story, with many distractions along the way.

The TLR really does have a long Trials history, much more in your country than mine. You good folks In the UK have the advantage of having a more solid aftermarket support following for these things than we do here, and believe me that's a big plus. Try one if you get the chance, and make your decision from there. :thumbup:

Edited by brewtus