Static Sag - Beta Evo 250 2T 2013

stinkypete

Hi I've recently bought a Beta Evo 250 2T 2013 and would like to set up the suspension. I have a few questions;

1/ what would you recommend the static sag to be set at?

2/ my weight is a lardy 14st or 196lbs (should I be considering a heavier spring)?

I have a few more questions, but this will set me in the right track if I can get some good advice on these...

Are you a `new trials rider`? Static sag is not really the concern.

Well put! Only thing I might add would be as the rear spring settles in and the rear of the bike starts settling more than an inch or so you may need to wind the rear spring retainer up a bit. Not overly critical so not to be obsessed with it. :beer:

Thanks for yours replies guys, yes I am new to trials, just wanting to get the bike set up right and then it's down to me to learn. I know from being an enduro rider that if the bike isn't set up correctly you make life harder for yourself.

Good advice & good luck in 2014, I can't wait to get out and ride, weather here is pants though!

Hi Pete, The measurement you need is sag with all your kit on and the sus should drop a 1/3rd front and back you need someone else to measure it while you balance with suspension leveled on the bike.

On the back you measure from the rear axle to the vertical point on the mud guard and on the front the fork travel I think, if I have that wrong someone please correct me.

I assume the 1st (total travel measurement) is done with the wheels off the ground like when the bikes on a stand.

I'm new to the sport myself but I think that's right!

I weigh 15.5 St without my kit on and have noticed my bike go in to a deep sag when I stand on it I haven't measured it yet but thought I may benifit from a heavier gauge springs myself my bIke's a 2007 so they may be due a overhaul anyway.

Thanks for that Southwester I'm in the south west also, down in Portishead. I'm also fairly new to trials but used to ride British Champ enduro 10 years ago at expert level. Now old at 48 but have discovered trials and the bug has bitten me again, big time!

Thanks for the advice, currently I have static sag (no rider pits stand to ground measurement) of 35mm so a little too much sag on the rear, so I'll wind the collar up a bit to bring it down to about 20mm. Then check the rider sag when my friend pops around in a couple of days.

If you're reasonably local and know of a wood or somewhere to ride and would like some company let me know, I'm quite keen to get up to a reasonable level and then have a go at some local club events around the regions Wessex & Western Centres.

All the best,

Pete

The most important thing is the front and back work together. In trials you are trying to find traction. Softer is usually better. If you set the suspension up stiff you will be bouncing off the rocks, not in the intended direction of travel.

Pete, practice is good but you need to enter a few trials on the novice route so you know what to practice and also you can be the best rider when practicing but you need the pegs in the ground to know what you can and can not do.

Welcome to the trials world, you will love it.

John

Thanks for all the information and comments, all very useful, going to set the bike up in the morning and then off to the woods to practice in the afternoon. Then a few trials to get to grips with everything, thanks everyone and a happy new trials riding year...