Weight And Capacity Limits In Acu Championship?

telecat

Given the New weight limit in the WTC and the 290cc limit on 2 strokes presumably to make Honda's, (I am not going to refer to them as Montesa's any more), more competitive what is the situation in the UK? Like many My Son has bought a 300CC bike with the idea of entering a few Nationals. Is it now Persona non grata or do we assume that any bike sold in the UK is OK for the BTC?

• Like 1

The ACU has no plans to introduce weight limits in trials. Simple fact we don't have the manpower to inforce this and we see no benefit in doing it.

That's from an official view

From a personal viewpoint, the revolution to return trials to the 1950's has not yet become a priority in the |UK

My views entirely

Believe me it willl get worse before it gets better

• Like 3

I wonder why the 2T mfg's are quiet about this????

I only hope they are working behind the scenes to rectify the problem. The fact that the most popular production displacement is now disallowed by the FIM is total BS. Not to mention that 4t's can still be 2x as loud as a 2t's. How does any of this save money. Name one company that eliminates it most popular and highest margin product and survives.

• Like 2

I need to preface my comments by declaring that I am far from being a top level rider, having returned to trials in my sixties after a long absence from the sport. My bike is light and I find that to be very helpful at my level of ability. It is a 300, but it is less peaky that my earlier Evo 250 and, to my mind, it is easier to ride.

The FIM promised a number of changes in the bid to stem the fall in sales of trials bikes and to increase the participation rate. However, they seem to have overlooked the fact that the real problem was the global recession: the unemployment rate in many countries where trials is popular might be an indicator of the root cause of the problem. In my view, by tinkering around the edges with non-stop (officially declared a success, but without any evidence being apparent), higher weight limits and engine capacity limits, the FIM are likely to inflict even more damage to the sport than the economic recession. Hopefully the national bodies around the world will ignore the latest idiocy from the FIM and run trials the way that the majority of riders and spectators seem to prefer.

• Like 3

Most of the entry at a world round are lads giving it a go. Now they own bikes that they need new head barrel piston. They pay more per section than the weekend warrior pays for a days sport, and that's just for insurance and FIM licence. Trials is fast becoming a sport for the rich. Why is the new minimum weight more than most production bikes and maximum cc less than the production bikes, it does not make any sense. we need to rethink 2014 Aussie world round and TDN? may just stay home

• Like 3

Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Euripedes.

Greek Dramatist and early critic of the FIM. 484-406 BC.

A great quotation and it seems, sadly, that Euripides was right about the FIM.

The FIM seems to have overlooked the massive potential for urban trials and indoor trials. The proposed changes and especially non-stop, would be counterproductive to the success of those events. And where are the next generation of riders coming from, for indoor, urban or traditional trials? Many will come from cycle trials where non-stop would be nonsensical. The FIM's actions seem to be driven by desperation with no strategic thinking beyond making changes in the hope that something might work. Madness indeed.

• Like 2

Why doesn't the FIM put any revision history in there tech rules documents? Seems very unprofessional. I guess that fits though. :wall:

Any organisation that allows a basic grammatical error to appear in the very first line of the introduction to trials regulations (01.01 in the link provided by laser1 in post number 6) has little claim to professionalism.

Maybe the time has come for the trials world to divorce itself from the FIM, leave motorcycle speed events with them (that appears to to be what FIM sees as the top priority in any case) and have a new world trials body that has a balanced representation from riders, manufacturers, organising clubs and, dare I say it, spectators/enthusiasts.

• Like 5

Agree with comments above

I have never known how or why rules are made at FIM level without any real (apparent) democracy seeming to take place.

Both with rule bending as in the case of Pol Tarres and introduction of rules which only give more advantages to Honda as telecast says above.

Last year was closer with raga as near as he has been but now these two rules (WHY?) 290cc and weight have simply given the advantage back.

Apart from maybe 5 riders all the others are paying to get round the world champs and despite the FIM saying they would help they have not brought one rule or measure to increase participation.

TOTAL SHAMBLES WHICH WILL ONLY HASTEN THE WTC DEMISE.

• Like 3