Ossa Reliability Issues?

stpauls

BAH *lots* can be done at home. Tranny, clutch, piston, cylinder. Even setting the TPS (its easier to set with the computer, Kokusan software and adapter, but can be done at home with a DVM). But that's for people who have the skills and tools. If you don't know what you are doing then I am sure it will be a gong show.

• Like 1

Ossa should make the leads and software available for people to purchase. I can understand their reluctance while bikes are still under warranty but once the 2 years are up they should sell you a set as then any broken parts are on the owner and not ossa. I like to think I am familiar with the software having seen it done multiple times, and also having the software manual that explains everything in detail and would love to fiddle....

There ya go - that's the spirit!

With the KTM 690 EFI - we do it all ourselves at home - with the Tune ECU software. Completely custom maps. With the KTM 350 EFI, unfortunately it follows a closed protocol so we cant really muck with the fuel and timing parameters, but still can do things like set the TPS. Perhaps the people on this board are a bit shy because all they have dealt with is carbs.

Edited by trialtrial

Diy work on ecu's is simple, dealers are only needed for it due to manufacturers charging a fortune for cables and software. Everything should have a standard diagnostic port as a minimum as cars have had for years.

I was tempted by the non runner but 1600 was my limit, it's a gamble after all so you've got be happy with the odds.

The non runner is relisted and is only up to 895 so you still have a chance to bid

There ya go - that's the spirit!

With the KTM 690 EFI - we do it all ourselves at home - with the Tune ECU software. Completely custom maps. With the KTM 350 EFI, unfortunately it follows a closed protocol so we cant really muck with the fuel and timing parameters, but still can do things like set the TPS. Perhaps the people on this board are a bit shy because all they have dealt with is carbs.

We have the software to program our Cannondales, we can change EVERYTHING, I don't get that crazy, but it's possible.

the performance parameters you can change is amazing, traction map, torque, top end, low end. pretty much endless.

Wish the Ossa was similar.

I have about 50 hours on my 2014 Explorer- the issues I've had are a broken chain tensioner spring ($5) and the wiring loom by the steering head was tie wrapped too tightly from the factory, breaking a turn signal wire.

My bike is plated, so I need to keep those working.

The factory chain is junk- and the rear master fills with mud. But I ride in the mud a lot and my KTM went through wheel bearings also (no, I don't pressure wash). At least I could buy off the shelf ones cheap.

Very happy with the bike!

Edited by lotus54

2 non runners being sold off cheap - there's a message there for sure

On the subject of accessing / altering ECU info it really p----s me off the way manufacturers make it difficult. All it should take is a lead at £10 to £20 and a DVD at £10. Or they could throw it in free with the bike like Montesa and Yamaha used to do with toolkits.

Edited by dadof2

The message here is the 2011 bikes were troublesome so best avoid.

I would disagree with that .... I have 2 friends with 11 bikes that have given them no problems whatsoever except the gearboxes which were replaced under warranty. Both bikes have been at trials nearly every weekend since new

Edited by wayne509

Well, I can say that the main bearings have gone on my 2013. Not the best news I had yesterday but, I am not the only one who had the problems. Apparently, mine is the third set to go in a 2013 model. The crank has been sent to Birkett Motorsport who I cannot thank enough for the help they have given, also to Juan Knight here on the island. The bearings are being replaced with updated 2014 parts.

Despite these problems the bikes are still quite reliable and now that Ossa and Gas Gas have joined forces, the reliability should improve quickly.

I'm gonna stick by the Ossa though. Definitely the future.