Does This Manoeuvre Have A Name?

mokwepa

Hi guys

I was playing on my tires today and realised that a J Zap needs a little runup to get right so I watched a vid I had of Brent le riche that I took with my phone at the last trial and analysed what he was doing. He wacked the throttle, loaded the suspension and then aggressively unweighted and dumped the clutch. Im kind of getting it right just not as graceful as Brent. It works and if I could balance like he does, I would need almost no runup. I need to lean back a bit more and try to hold preasure on the bars.

Does this technique have a name? Its not a jzap or double blip, I know that much.

Ps: excuse the zippy shorts and no shirt but its dam hot here at mid day.

Cheers

Dylan

Hi guys

I was playing on my tires today and realised that a J Zap needs a little runup to get right so I watched a vid I had of Brent le riche that I took with my phone at the last trial and analysed what he was doing. He wacked the throttle, loaded the suspension and then aggressively unweighted and dumped the clutch. Im kind of getting it right just not as graceful as Brent. It works and if I could balance like he does, I would need almost no runup. I need to lean back a bit more and try to hold preasure on the bars.

Does this technique have a name? Its not a jzap or double blip, I know that much.

Cheers

Dylan

Probably call it a "Bou Bounce".

Thats got a nice ring to it :)

I have all of Ryans dvds and Bous dvd and none of them explain it. Its shown many times but all that is coached is the roll up, zap and double blip in a few variants. This technique seems to be what most of the BIG boyz use, most of the time to initiate a section, especially in indoor events with big artificial obstacles. It seems to be a kind of splat without the splat, if you understand what im trying to say.

Just thought it would feature in the training dvds as it seems to be used often.

I think it is effectively a double blip but rather than waiting for the front wheel to hit the obstacle the rider uses body weight/movement to instigate the suspension lift which is then supported by throttle and body extension. This combined with lots of bottle and skill especially indoors!!!

Cheers

Dylan

:thumbup: I am big fan of shorts.............the no shirt not so much :P

Wish it was warm enough for shorts here. Lows of -10F highs of 20F and a boatload of snow :(

It looked like a "Splatter" to me, Dyllan! And you're doing it without a kicker, which is harder to to do. :thumbup: Your front wheel didn't hit the tire. You essentially wheelie while jumping the bike up from the ground. As soon as the rear wheel hits the obstacle, the front end comes down. The rear wheel normally hits the very top portion of the vertical part of the object, which like I said, brings the front end down, and keeps you from coming over backwards. This is somewhat of a more advanced technique, and is what's used (normally with a kicker) to get up even higher obstacles.

Hey, Rock the shorts & no shirts look! You can work on your tan while you practice, and be the envy of Zippys everywhere! :bouncy:

Jimmie

You are basically doing a fast roll up. If you get some lift, you would be on your way to what I call mini-splatters. Which is a great technique to get up a ledge without getting stuck on the pan. Since you have the cam, concentrate on more lift. Good job. The zap requires a dedicated full front suspension load into an object. The splatter is key to doing all the crazy ups!!

You are basically doing a fast roll up. If you get some lift, you would be on your way to what I call mini-splatters. Which is a great technique to get up a ledge without getting stuck on the pan. Since you have the cam, concentrate on more lift. Good job. The zap requires a dedicated full front suspension load into an object. The splatter is key to doing all the crazy ups!!

Pretty much as stated! You can still get a small rock to get more height on that for a splat!

Coming in a little tighter(they do not allways give you much space) you will need to place the front wheel and zap it to get the front lift and skidplate over.

Thanks for the input guys.

Im purposely using a longer runup just to get the technique right then ill tighten things up.

What should I be working on for some rear wheel hight.....more throttle, more bounce, timing? Is there anything specific that you can see im lacking?

Im going to try a small kicker today and see what happens. I would love to learn how to mini splat for now and bigger splat later when I get more confidence.

I think I just did my first splat ??

I messed around with a kicker and at first I almost went right over the tire. I moved it back bit by bit and varied my throttle input until the above happened. I can get it right about 90% of the time.

Im I on the right track?

I agree 100% :).

My problem is, im confined to my artificial spot when I have guests and in fortunate to be able to train everyday........but man I get bored riding by myself all the time. The only time I get to ride with others is at events once a month. When I get bored, my brain says....what if...?

My guests check out today but I still have to be on stand by, so im gonna load up my bike and my 44mag and try do some cambered turn practice next to the river. Wish my artificial spot wasnt so flat.

Anyway..thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Your little area is fine. I see you have yellow paint on the tire and such, about where your front tire needs to hit for a decent zap!

If you want something to work on, pull along the tire parallel, float the turn 90 degrees, plant the tire and zap it.

Might start off with a 90 floater on a smaller log so you can just lift front over and run until rear hits to grip.

Your floater will apply toward your camber turn down then back up as well. You gotta poke the pegs to make the bike move and stay in the float. Opposite peg pressure will just straighten you out and not stay in the turn or float, just saying!