Bike Started Making A Knocking Noise Beta Rev3 06

dpmc

hi Folks, i think my engine is broke, i ran out of fuel so went to reserve and after re-starting it never sounded quite right, when accelerating and backing off there is a knocking noise which sounds like its coming from the bottom of the engine but could be any where. It feels like i'm down on power and the power is also not as smooth. any suggestion what i should look for, i always think the worse so hopefully one of you guys can point me in the right direction.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Hi, Don't panic yet. you have probably taken some dirt into the carb as fuel was running out. give carb a clean and flush out fuel tank and it will be fine........

Check the fuel flow from tap too to make sure top is not blocked in the reserve outlet.

lean mixture will make it KNOCK !

TLTEL

• Like 1

Hi, Don't panic yet. you have probably taken some dirt into the carb as fuel was running out. give carb a clean and flush out fuel tank and it will be fine........

Check the fuel flow from tap too to make sure top is not blocked in the reserve outlet.

lean mixture will make it KNOCK !

TLTEL

sounds like good advice, i had a problem with dirt in the carb last week so i cleaned it out along with an oil change and new plug and air filter, i guess i should have cleaned the tank as well, ill report back my findings during the week when i have a chance to take a look.

cheers

• Like 1

Try a new plug, then see if the noise is still there.

thanks for the reply, can you say why a plug would make a difference so i understand why i am doing some thing, it was a new plug at the start of the day?

sounds like good advice, i had a problem with dirt in the carb last week so i cleaned it out along with an oil change and new plug and air filter, i guess i should have cleaned the tank as well, ill report back my findings during the week when i have a chance to take a look.

cheers

just a thought over night, i have a new in-line filter fitted, surely this would of stopped any dirt from the tank???

thanks for the reply, can you say why a plug would make a difference so i understand why i am doing some thing, it was a new plug at the start of the day?

You try the easy stuff first. A plug can go bad in a matter of minutes, especially if you have problems. A bad plug can make it spit and cough, which makes it sound like all kinds of issues.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

If you have the filter fitted, it could just be the flow from the tap its self. Check it all any way at least free. ,

With my bike I can always tell when I need to switch to reserve as it starts to knock really bad, as soon as fuel flows it stops knocking

TLTEL

just a quick update, i could'nt help my self i took the carb off and found 2 flakes of aluminium in the bowel " how the hell did that get there" also removed the tap from the tank and sure enough there is dirt around the bottom of the pipe, iv ordered a new plug although this one look good just to be safe. Its strange that this could cause the knocking noise, i guess i have a lot more to learn about 2 strokes. I look forward to getting it back together to see if the noise has gone.

Should i turn it up side down and clear the crank case out as well??

No you don't need to turn it upside down. looks like you found the problem.

Clean it all and it will run good again...

I also use the higher octane fuel as you seem to have better running with it.

These two strokes can be a bit fussy.

TLTEL

• Like 1

Even water can do it! It lies on the bottom of the bowl and blocks normal flow of fuel to the slow jet.

Ck your fuel cans too! I will empty mine off in a clear plastic pop bottle just to see what comes out!

Yet another issue with the alcohol in your fuel. It can absorb moisture into solution, yet can also separate out!

This is another reason fresh is best!

• Like 1