Which Rules Do You Want In Observed Trials, If This Was Your Choice.

jj65

Which rules do you want  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which observed trials rules do you want, have your vote NOW.

As a novice I voted stop allowed. I do stop for a second or two at times just to size up things. Obviously this would cease as I get better.

Speaking of stopping.... as a Novice I've often wondered why there is no flat piece of ground with tapes not much wider than bike making you turn pretty tight but not having to bounce a corner. Course is zig-zaggy with some 90 deg corners.

Also... mandatory box in centre where you have to stop and static for 5 seconds. Next 3 times through the static time increases by 5 seconds. If don't meet static time its a "1"... and move on.

Last bit of section would be straight with 2 logs, 8" diameter, across path, one bike length apart et cetera.

You could also make it mandatory slow... 1.5 minutes minimum time not max.. or its a "1".

If too hard at first... ease off static time and delete minimum time. Get medium experienced Novice to run it at set-up time?

This would be section 1 for Novice only... easy to set out and an achievable challenge (hopefully) for us newbys?

Mags

• 4 weeks later...

perhaps a motocross option for younger riders, doing the section in fourth of fifth gear? :-) some of the young guys rip through sections when they are just messing around...

i like the idea of being able to roll backwards, it seems to be just another skill to exercise on the bike and would be cool to learn - i can't do it yet. some of the guys here ride up trees and reverse down again which looks like fun.

Keep it simple.

Dab=1 up to 5 (1,2,3,4,5)

Drag foot=3

Bars hit the ground=5

Both feet on the ground at same time=5

Break the tape or damage marker=5

Outside the tape=5

Outside help (physical help or minder inside section while riding)=5

Time in section more than 1.5 minutes=5

As long as you get done in less than 1.5 minutes and stay inside the tape, it almost doesn't matter what happens within the section as long as you are on the pegs - stop, hop, back up, eat a sandwich, I don't care. Just don't take more than 1.5 minutes).

Edited by thats_a_five

Time limits work well in the wtc and the btc, but at club level it is often hard to get 12 observers for the day, never mind trying to find another 12 willing people to do stop watch duties.

Alow stops for 1 mark

stop with foot down 5

The clubs that held the first (and only) trial I have entered couldn't get enough observers for the day, way short!

The event was held with a "self- observe" method. You just rode the sections and their was a card punch at the out gate of every section. You just punched your own card at each out gate.

If a rider was at the out gate punching their card and a rider was in the section, the rider punching card would wait and punch card of next rider exiting. Just to save dismounting or reaching ground to get punch.

Worked well on the day.... my card was like swiss cheese, only cleared one section of the 15 I attempted, mostly fived. Hehehehehe

Is this a normal thing to do if no observers???

Mags

The clubs that held the first (and only) trial I have entered couldn't get enough observers for the day, way short!

The event was held with a "self- observe" method. You just rode the sections and their was a card punch at the out gate of every section. You just punched your own card at each out gate.

If a rider was at the out gate punching their card and a rider was in the section, the rider punching card would wait and punch card of next rider exiting. Just to save dismounting or reaching ground to get punch.

Worked well on the day.... my card was like swiss cheese, only cleared one section of the 15 I attempted, mostly fived. Hehehehehe

Is this a normal thing to do if no observers???

Mags

When we don't get enough observers we either drop some sections or do ":Group Check." Ride in groups or 2 to 4 and observe each other. Normally considered to be bad form to punch your own card.