Sherpa 190 Shocks Shock

d250b

Just stripped down the forks to overhaul and send the tubes off for re-chroming because they were pitted and one was leaking. Got rather a surprise to find that they are different lengths? one is 57cm and the other is 54.8!!

Which one is correct (if either)? And what would be my best way forward considering I was looking at about £160 to get those ones re chromed?

In Motion and SMP don't have them listed and a google search hasn't come up with anything apart from stuff in the US.

I'm not sure how a bike can function with two different tube lengths but both the top nuts were different and only one had a spacer. one of the legs was filled with a unique oil and water cocktail which wasn't doing much good either!

Appreciate some guidance, thanks.

D

The forks fitted to the 250 models from '76 - '78 were shorter than those fitted to the 350 models so maybe someone has fitted a 250 stanchion at some point? I've no idea exactly how much shorter they actually are.

If this helps I just measured a spare set I have for my 198-1977 250cc. They and the identical set in the bike are 545mm. I have had three others but all were the 198 or 199's and I am certain they were the same as these as I went thru them all to keep the best sets and put one set in my Tiger Cub. Sounds like you have two options, have the long one trimmed down ($) or look for a used replacement of either and have the matching pair rechromed. Also, can you folks tell me who you would recommend for rechroming-either in UK or Australia. The only quality service here in NZ I can find would be close to UK700$-!

Good luck in your project.

Not sure how well 250 length forks would work on a 350, they were shorter because the 250 frame from '76 - '78 (up to the model 190) was different from the 350, particularly the headstock position. The bottom yoke was different as well. From the M198, they went back to using the same frame as the 350.

Thanks folks for the responses so far.

pschrauber has a pair from a 190 which are 560mm and although the 190's forks were shorter than the 198, larrrynz's tubes are even shorter than that at 545mm???? Woody, could the difference in o/all length be down to the bottom legs rather than the tubes then?

I can't imagine that getting one cut down would be very easy or cheap.

I can't find a second hand one/pair at the moment but if I did I would have that cost plus (potentially) re-chroming cost too.

I've found a UK company that makes tubes but Bultacos aren't listed although I can phone them next week to see if they would do them, i'm hoping that it might be as cheap to get a new pair made than buy second hand and rechrome.

Would an entire front end from a later bike fit on my frame if that looked like a cheaper option?

larrynz: the company i was going to send the forks to for rechroming was called http://www.pittedforks.co.uk and they were wanting £165 for a pair of tubes pre-stripped and this included collection and delivery in the UK. hope this might help.

Here's a photo of the frame and headstock just in case someone can identify that it's maybe not even a 190 headstock!? :wall:

Thanks again

D

post-18858-0-86558700-1401606258_thumb.jpg

I have a pair of Betor forks for a SWM left, I could look up there too.

The interna as I remember was pretty much the same to the fork of the 199b and 190, the newer forks from the 199b had just some more plastic parts

instead of aluminium the fork of the 190 had.

A comparison:

upper pic's 190, pic below 199b:

Gabeln+vorher+02.jpg

If you ask me get a used betor fork and rebuild that, if you need new hardchrome for the stanchions look up if they are not a little bit bend,

I haven't got a used fork that was straight so far...

You might even look up in France and Italy, I got mine fram France for a very good price.

Thanks for the photos and advice. My internals look very similar to your 190 but even so mine are not a pair, there are differences in the spacers/washers so it's a complete mess.

I've been looking for Bultaco/Betor forks but I'm still uncertain as to what length to get, or will it make a lot of difference once they are on the bike?

There's a nice brand new set in Greece but they are well over £200, I've also found some from an Ossa but I still don't know how long they will be.

If the tube length won't make a lot of difference then that will make it a bit easier.

D

Your triple clamps look correct for the 190. With the 325 bikes the lower triple clamp has a larger more pronounced arch which drops the clamping part further down the leg which means that the knurling on a 325 leg wont line up with your 250 clamps. I would think the easiest way out is to find a complete 325 front end [triple clamps included ,at least the bottom one anyway] and fit that to your bike, however this is going to alter the geometry as the front wheel will be pushed down and forward due to the extra length of the leg. I guess it just depends on what you intend to do with the bike.

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg,

I don't think there would be a problem altering the geometry for me :hyper: There are 2 sets of betor 35mm forks on ebay at the moment, one with the clamps, one without (which came off an Ossa), so I assume either of these could be used as donors for the tubes alone? Ive asked about the Ossa ones to find out what the chrome is like because if I end up having to spend £120 or more for a pair of tubes; (given what its going to cost for all the other bits and bobs), I simply can't afford to then spend another £160 on re-chroming. i knew it would cost a bit to get the bike sorted but it's mounting up now and the forks thing was a totally unforseen issue- and an expensive one at that.

thanks again

David

Thanks folks for the responses so far.

pschrauber has a pair from a 190 which are 560mm and although the 190's forks were shorter than the 198, larrrynz's tubes are even shorter than that at 545mm????

Woody, could the difference in o/all length be down to the bottom legs rather than the tubes then?

I can't imagine they cast different legs so I'd assume it is the tubes that are a different length. As pointed out in the above post your frame looks correct for a 190 as does the bottom clamp. What I can't figure out is the 190 tubes shown in PSchrauber's picture as they don't look like they are from a 190... The knurled part looks as though it would sit below the bottom clamp but maybe it's just an illusion. The tube in the bottom picture looks more like a 190

Overall fork length can be shortened by fitting a longer alloy spacer on the damper rod which prevents the fork legs extending to their normal length so you could consider doing this if you found a pair of longer 350 forks. With your current forks though, if one is longer than the other, the longest can only extend to the overall length of the shortest so you would still have the correct overall length, so maybe there isn't an actual problem - unless I'm overlooking something.

Or, to maintain the correct head angle with 350 forks, you could machine out the shoulder in the top yoke which prevents the forks being pushed through, then just push them through to match the correct 250 length.

Thanks Greg,

I don't think there would be a problem altering the geometry for me :hyper: There are 2 sets of betor 35mm forks on ebay at the moment, one with the clamps, one without (which came off an Ossa), so I assume either of these could be used as donors for the tubes alone? Ive asked about the Ossa ones to find out what the chrome is like because if I end up having to spend £120 or more for a pair of tubes; (given what its going to cost for all the other bits and bobs), I simply can't afford to then spend another £160 on re-chroming. i knew it would cost a bit to get the bike sorted but it's mounting up now and the forks thing was a totally unforseen issue- and an expensive one at that.

thanks again

David

Ossa MAR fork tubes come in two different lengths and the longer ones, from '76 on are too long for a Bultaco. The earlier MAR forks are shorter and may be too short for a Bultaco so make sure you get them to measure them exactly before you buy them

If this helps I just measured a spare set I have for my 198-1977 250cc. They and the identical set in the bike are 545mm. I have had three others but all were the 198 or 199's and I am certain they were the same as these as I went thru them all to keep the best sets and put one set in my Tiger Cub. Sounds like you have two options, have the long one trimmed down ($) or look for a used replacement of either and have the matching pair rechromed. Also, can you folks tell me who you would recommend for rechroming-either in UK or Australia. The only quality service here in NZ I can find would be close to UK700$-!

Good luck in your project.

RAD Hard Chroming in Sherwood, Brisbane, Australia are highly regarded for rechroming fork tubes. Last set I had done there were AU$150 per tube plus freight
  • Like 1