Electrix World Questions

mmmexico

My TY 175 is progressing nicely. I have read on this forum the mixed results that people have had with the Electrix World system. Some have said some very nice things, others have had no luck and everyone seems to agree that they are not especially communicative with their customers. In my case, I sent several e-mails and none received any response at all.

When I ordered an "electronic ignition" from an American source, the Electrix World unit arrived. So...that's what I am using. The unit appears to be very well made, but as you can see from the photograph, the unit just doesn't quite match up, so I'm going to have to be doing some grinding with my Dremel tool on the engine case. No big deal, but why couldn't they have done a better job??

I have a couple of questions about the unit itself. First of all, how is the spark triggered? With a points system, it is obviously clear. With the CDI systems that I am familiar with, there is some sort of a mechanical, electromechanical trigger associated with some part of the motor, usually the flywheel. With this unit, there is no obvious trigger. How does it work?

Secondly, how much success have you guys had adjusting the timing of this unit? The instructions simply say that the unit will provide a good spark as delivered in the box, and any further adjustment will require a timing light and the creation of timing marks on the magneto flywheel. Have you found that necessary?

Hope to hear from you guys about your adventures with this unit

Mike

meditativemachineryDSC01258.JPG

post-19176-0-69378500-1403204000_thumb.jpg

I would email your photo to the supplier and ask them if they think the stator plate they have supplied is faulty before cutting metal from your engine case. Get their permission to cut away their part instead.

If there is no sign of a timing trigger the system almost certainly uses the change of polarity at maximum voltage to signal the CDI. This type of system gives similar / same timing to points.

Edited by dadof2

I'd suggest you're going to have to be very forceful with them as a mate of mine has an issue with his Montesa ignition which has been going on for 3 to 4 years now, their support service has been abysmal. It was returned to them again about 3 weeks ago for probably the third or fourth time and they still haven't got in touch with him

I had dealings with them about 8 years ago and they were really good, its a shame if they have gone down hill as they were genuinely interested when i spoke to someone on the technical side of things about a non-standard application they were exceptionally helpful + the stator and CDI they supplied worked perfectly. Don't know how big an operation they are now but you might get a better response from a phone call maybe?

But yes as above thats not right you shouldn't have to mess about dremeling to make things fit (well, not unless you are too tight to buy the right part like me) i'de speak to your supplier about it

Edit - sorry didn't notice before the company I dealt with was Electrex World not Electrix World don't know if they are one and the same or not.

Edited by twinshock giles

I helped fit an Electrex ignition to a friend's Ty175 about 3 years ago and did not come across that problem you are illustrating. Maybe the kit you were sent is for a different bike. I know that the Ty175 and Ty250 backing plates are similar but different so it could be that

I just received one of the same units , its exactly the same , wont line up .

I called them just now but no one technical to speak to , they say they will ring me back >

Lets see !

Its an easy fix however its a new part , I should not be having to machine anything .

In the interest of getting the bike running, why not just file a little off the plate itself rather than modding the case. It looks like it would only take a little filing to get it in place. I know it is supposed to fit but the alternative is to wait for a replacement that may end up having the same issue anyway

• Like 1

In the interest of getting the bike running, why not just file a little off the plate itself rather than modding the case. It looks like it would only take a little filing to get it in place. I know it is supposed to fit but the alternative is to wait for a replacement that may end up having the same issue anyway

Maybe it is because we both live so far from the UK, but this is my take on the problem too.

I find that there are lots of times that aftermarket parts I buy need a few tweaks to fit properly, not just ignitions

The ignition on my 250 needed no modification to fit, the grommet for the cases wasn't perfect but wasn't a issue due to me sealing it up with silicone as a standard practice to ensure water can't get in

Do the other mounting screw holes line up? If they do then you may have to slot the hole otherwise it shouldn't take much to rotate the plate enough with a small amount of modification to the plate