What Chain Lube?

sawtooth

if you are wanting the best chain lube, that is dry and does not get filled with mud ( its not very sticky and its quite thin ) then this is the best stuff , local dealer says this is what they put on when they ship the bike out from the factory. its like a ceramic wax. i use it every ride and it is great. it doesnt get all gunked up!!

http://www.putoline.com/en/products/catalogue/segp_maint/pchmp/758/maintenance-products/chain-maintenance-products/tech-chain-/

Whats the difference between that in this then?

http://www.putoline.com/en/products/catalogue/segp_offroad/pchmp/582/off-road/chain-maintenance-products/drytec-race-chainlube/

if you are wanting the best chain lube, that is dry and does not get filled with mud ( its not very sticky and its quite thin ) then this is the best stuff , local dealer says this is what they put on when they ship the bike out from the factory. its like a ceramic wax. i use it every ride and it is great. it doesnt get all gunked up!!

http://www.putoline.com/en/products/catalogue/segp_maint/pchmp/758/maintenance-products/chain-maintenance-products/tech-chain-/

ourian, on 02 Jul 2014 - 9:26 PM, said:snapback.png

Wilko's 'loosen up' maintenance spray, £1 a can, excellent as a light chain lube and maintenance spray after washing, it leaves a light wax like coating once dry.

That more of a degreaser like WD40 or does it have some actual lubrication/protection ingredients in it like silicone and teflon etc?

Well it certainly displaces water, as for a degreaser I would say that is not, you could use it as a degreaser/cleaner simply due to the solvents contained in it, but it leaves a wax like lubricating residue behind once the solvent has evaporated, similar to ordinary chain lube, hence my recommendation. I also use it on my brake, clutch and throttle cables, cleans the crud out, displaces water and lubricates too.

The problem with WD40 is not it's degreasing capabilities which are excellent for cleaning a chain, but it does not have lasting lubrication properties, unlike Wilko's maintenance spray.

For the sake of £1 I'd say give it a try.

I find it odd that although not one single chain manufacturer recommends or makes anything even remotely similar to WD40

So many people want to use it or similar for lube

It's kinda like saying, "those 2 stroke oil manufacturers are all nuts, I use sewing machine oil, and you should too"

Try this, lube anything with WD and then give it a blast with an air hose, then try that with chain lube

One is a high pressure lube and the other is to remove high pressure lube

Maybe the chain companies are not as dumb as you think

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just stared using original formula Dumonde Tech bicycle chain lube (http://www.dumondetech.com/products/bicycle-2/)%C2'> my non-O-ring trails bike chain. I've used this lube on my cyclocross and mountain bikes for years with great results. It seems to be working well on the trials bike.

Dumonde Tech also make a motorcycle-specific formula called BHP Chain Oil. I plan to try that, next.

Most people don't use WD40 as a chain lubricant, I certainly don't. I use it because it very rapidly penetrates and displaces water, preventing corrosion which would otherwise greatly shorten chain life.

The other thing that wrecks chains is grease or sticky lube once mixed with abrasive dirt such as sand as it acts like grinding paste.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tried Rock Oil spray on chain lube, too sticky.

Cleaned with gunk, used wd40 to dispel water. Once dry, put some of my dads universal tractor oil on the chain, seems to work fine so far. A lot less dirt and muck on the chain.

Right, think I've found what I need:

WD40 Chain Cleaner

wd-40_chain-cleaner.jpg

WD40 Chain Wax

wd-40_chain-wax.jpg

Cleaner cleans really well and the wax is very durable and does not fling, especially if left to cure over night. Just under £10 a can for 400ml so not too bad.

Edited by sawtooth

• 1 month later...

Wish we could get o ring chain - the lube issue becomes much less of an issue. Was just comparing sprockets of my beta and my ktm 300 and the sprocket wear on the trials bike is significantly worse and gets a tenth of the abuse of the ktm.

KTM wont have 10/42 sprockets though and i think smaller sprockets wear faster as chain is pulled into smaller circle

Used to run o ring chains at the ssdt on yamaha tyr s and tyz. Chain would last till Christmas after ssdt but would need a gearbox sprocket in that time. Downside is you lose power with an o ring.

Edited by baldilocks