Fell Off Last Friday At Practice. Big Ouch!

mags

Don't worry the bike is ok!!!

I was attempting a big hill (2nd gear) and was doing fine. I had been up this once before and when realising I was not going to get the last almost vertical area I stopped and did a front wheel slide turn with both brakes on, to get bike facing downhill and away I went.

This time foot slipped off the rear brake and I started down the hill backwards so I bailed by laying bike over and digging the bars and pegs in.

Bike stopped but I fell backwards on to my backside and flared up an old injury to a lumbar vertebrae that is about 15mm plus out of alignment.

Pain was terrible so I just lay there for about 20 minutes... looking at bike 3 metres up the hill from me. The bike kept calling to me... help me up, help me up! I said to it "Geez buddy, you think you need help up!". Get over here trusty steed and help me up!

There was no injury at all, not even a scratch or bruise but the old spine injury copped it. I'd like to thank the tree that stood strong and tall so I could wrap my arms around it and get to my feet.

I couldn't lift the bike for some time, I eventually dragged the front to face down hill and in a washout so was able to eventually get it up and run it downhill... engine off, in first gear clutch out and releasing front brake whilst sitting on it.

My vehicle was over a mile away so it was a fun ride back there in first gear and dodging even the smallest bumps. Car packed up and drove the 2 hrs home feeling like an idiot.

First 24hrs was in bed on anti-inflamms and painkillers. Not back to normal by any means but much better today and taking care to heal it as soon as possible. I want to ride this weekend at a club's practice day but will just spot for my wife if I can't ride the sections.

Lessons learnt...

Dont ride in the lonely areas of the grounds. Stay in the vicinity of other riders on the property.

Maybe keep mobile phone on person somehow when riding by yourself anywhere.

I may need some form of lower back brace to protect the lower spine in case of even a small off in a section.

I may have to have the non-aligned vertebrae pinned in the future. Pinning has come a long way in 20 yrs.

Definitely ride Novice until skills are really perfected and have fun! Don't get ambitions and capabilities mixed because can't take medium to heavy falls. Don't want to have to stop riding off-road if I can help it.

On a positive note.... I was out in the yard yesterday (on chair) with wife on her Beta for 1.5 hrs. She really improved her turning and I was able to see and say a few things I saw wrongish. Like... knees bent further, bum out further, arm straighter et cetera. We had just watched the Steve Saunders beginner DVD and she went out to put the turns into practice.

Mags

I can relate to your pain had a big off Saturday in similar circumstances, not a mark on the bike but I have bruised ribs and a few scuffed up bits, stopped at the bottom of the hill by using my head so will have look at replacing my Helmet.

Not a good idea to practise alone, know one ever chooses to fall off but things will happen when you are trying to improve your skills and is all part of the leaning curve.

Steve,

Hope you feel better. I fell off mine twice yesterday and got a raspberry on the forearm. Stalled engine withe rear wheel still on obstacle and could not reach the ground and off to the side and on my back. Second was a sharp turn and front wheel washed out on a greasy stick.

Thanks guys! I'm on the mend slowly but surely. I thought I was the only one injuring myself... be careful out there! I may try and wash the Cota today.

I've put us in to attend the Motorcycle Trials Club of Queensland practice day this weekend. If I cant ride I'll still take my wife out on her Beta for her first go in a taped section.

Mags

I had a couple of good offs last week. I wear a pressure suit (or whatever they are called) with chest, back, shoulder, elbow and kidney belt all in one suit. I was glad to have it as I went over backwards onto my back on the rocks then got my leg stuck under the bike between the tire and bike frame... It took a bit for my riding buddy to stop laughing but he eventually helped me up. I always carry a phone and if I am on my own I typically don't do much more than trail riding. The phone is also handy for taking pictures after the fact like this one from a few weeks ago...

txt_upside_down.jpg

Hey Mags,

That is a view we all get of out bikes from time to time. I had one kinda like that a few years ago too. Riding down a small hill, small rock kicked the front wheel and over the bars I went. Used my face for brakes, facing downhill with feet uphill. Thought I was OK until the rear wheel of the bike came over the top and landed on my back. Completely knocked the wind out of me. Couldn't breathe, thought I had at least busted some ribs and the bike was still on top of me.

Mentally calmed myself and started breathing again. Crawled, dragged my body out from under the bike and finally was able to sit up after about 10 minutes (I think, who knows?). After sitting for about 30 minutes contemplating my navel and letting the pain in my chest subside so I could inhale a little, decided the only option was to get back on the bike and ride home.

It wasn't until I tried to stand that I noticed the pain in my knee. Good news, it was the left leg that could not hold any weight. Because I needed all my (substantial) weight and right leg to kick over that TY350.

Thankfully that old tractor of a bike had almost a seat so I could ride out. Parked it in the garage and didn't take it out again for at least 3-5 days when I could finally take a full breath in.

Lessons learned:

Never ride alone in remote places where your body might not be found.

When you ride alone, drop back a couple levels in the difficulty of things you try.

Always wear protective gear (always did anyway).

Always tell someone where you are going and when you should be back, so they know when and where to start the grid search for your body.

If there is any possibility of mobile phone service, carry your phone with you in a padded case. An extra battery is a nice addition so you can play games on the phone while waiting for the medivac helicopter.

Did this stop me from riding? Hell no.

Did it encourage me to improve my skills so a gold ball sized rock didn't kick my butt again? Absolutely.

We know your pain and hope for a fast recovery. When you are up to it, go get that hill! (with buddies).

A buddy told me once: If you are going to race, you need to learn how to limp.

I hope you see the humor in my message.

Cheers mate! :beer:

Bill

MAG'S !!!!!#$%^&&^%$#@

OFF ROAD riding is like scuba diving ! NEVER do it alone !!!! I don't care how good or bad you are , unless your in your back yard , DO NOT GO ALONE ! If you cracked a vertebra in your neck when you fell , how long would it have taken somebody to find YOU !!!! I mean hey , In previous life I was a para rescue BAD A$$ , but I still won't go off road by myself ... And don't depend on your DAMN cellphone after a crash ... it is plastic after all ...

I don't mean to be condescending , but you've got a wife and kids too ....AND I know your smarter than that !

ALL THE BEST , and I hope you feel better , get your back checked out ! I just had a bolt removed from my clavicle and technology works !

Glenn :)

Geez Michael! Thats an off for sure! I've actually got a pressure suit (armour) for the enduro but don't wear it on the Monty. The only reason it was pain time was the existing injury. Didn't have a scratch or bruise at all anywhere.

I looked at the armour and it would not have helped as I came down on my bum which compressed the angled vertebrae into the nerves. I'll be going easy from now on thats for sure!

Bill,

I had the same thing mate! Just lay there for 20 mins and couldn't move... geez it was painful! I kid you not when I say I used a tree to get myself to my feet! If anyone rode by at that stage... wtf is that guy doing hugging the tree? He's a trials guy... nature lover! Hehehehehehe You came out worse than me by the sounds!

I like ya tips! There were other riders on the property but not within cooee of me and they didn't know I was where I was! Next time I'll tell someone but I think I'm finished riding alone! I'm certainly more cautious about riding alone now, this episode was a warning IMHO.

Glenn,

Never fear! I learnt a good lesson! Kids were freaked out a bit, wife knows about the injury and has seen me in pain with it many moons ago, she was concerned. Kids thought it was unfair to be in bed for Father's day so they have deferred it to when I want to celebrate the day!

Mags

P.S. I got to wash the Cota today (slowly), clean and re-oil filter, chain off for good clean, oil and refit. We are still mates!!

Ok! Its been too long and I needed to feel some freedom of two wheels! Took the road bike for a short blat to order the new iPhone! My iPhone 3GS is 5 yr old and really needed upgrading... and it got mysteriously crunched in the garage door! Stopped for a coffee on the way back to rest!

So it looks like I will ride some sections this Sunday on Monty! I'll still be a bit guarded on the old back but I'm pretty stoked it seems like no permanent damage or operations this time.

Spent a couple of days cleaning and prepping the Beta and Montesa... for light duties and wife points! Hehehehe

Mags

Good to hear you are healing fast Mags.

Keep your feet up!

I second that Mags. I have a month to go b4 I can ride according to the doc. I am feeling like pushing the envelope a bit though.

As soon as I can raise my arm above my head I will feel gtg.

Thanks lads!

The practice day at Motorcycle Trails Club Queensland (MTCQ) was cancelled for tomorrow. I recently joined the Western Districts Trials Club (WDTC) and with the wonders of Facebook a day at Gap Creek Motorcycle Park has been organised. We have about 10 going!!!

I rode the Monty today and spine was pretty good, considering. I'll be going easy tomorrow as I want to enter a comp next weekend, all going well!

Slicktop,

What did you do to the arm??? Rotator cuff from too much double blipping? Threw an evil section setter in the creek and dislocated a shoulder!

Mags