Montesa 348 Success Story

samwisemcg

A few months ago I had an extremely smokey 348, the smoke was coking up the exhaust and causing the exhaust to overheat. I had owned the bike for over a year and had only once started it without easy start. It would normally take about 5 minutes, a lot of kicking, a lot of easy start and effort to fire up.

I was advised to change the crankshaft oil seal, which should help with the smokey exhaust. The bike was in bits for 2 months while I went through 5 different gear pullers trying to get the primary gear off the crankshaft. The first puller wouldn’t fit behind the gear, 3 of the pullers snapped under the pressure, but the last was successful.

I know first hand that this is a pig of a job so if anyone needs and advice let me know.

With the gear off the new seal was in and I reassembled the bike. I could not believe it when I kicked the bike and it started effortlessly first kick. It has been started about 5 times now, all on the first kick. I can’t believe the a new seal worth a couple of quid has basically given me a new feeling bike. I couldn’t be more happy, now it’s time to catch up on some riding.

I was pretty happy to see this come off.

post-18635-0-03842600-1412677176_thumb.jpg

Finally I can get access to the oil seal.

post-18635-0-35872600-1412677197_thumb.jpg

In all it's glory.

post-18635-0-95251800-1412677213_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here is what I use to take that gear off

That looks perfect for the job. I found the smaller pullers broke under the strain. The larger pullers had larger claws which wouldn't fit behind the primary. Your tool seems spot on.

Nice bike - as a side issue, are those old original Hydrobag rear units still damping? They seemed to give up the ghost long before this age!

Thanks, so far the rear shocks have been great. The forks were seized when I first got the bike and needed completely rebuilding. Apart from that, the suspension is running smooth.

• Like 1

I'm glad that you succeeded with my advise. It's a typical problem with Montesas.
By the way: the puller you've used is very similar to the official tool for that bike. It's tougher than the legged pullers.

Your advice was right. The only reason I posted this was the fact that this forum can be so helpful to novices. I wanted to let the people, who helped me diagnose and fix my bike that their advice is appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 3

probably teaching the converted it usually helps to give the puller a tap on the end once its done up tight,doing this when taking a car hub off once it all shot across the garage hitting the opposite wall.

Edited by esuark
  • Like 1

These shallow keyless taper fitted gears do take some shifting, Husqvarna have the same problem. Making up a special puller as you have done is the solution, but rather than a screw thread a hydraulic piston assembly pumped by a grease gun can provide a lot more force and does not fly across the workshop when the gear pops off the shaft. Once had to make one of these for a seized machine tool and it took near 100 tons to shift the jammed part.

• Like 1

probably teaching the converted it usually helps to give the puller a tap on the end once its done up tight,doing this when taking a car hub off once it all shot across the garage hitting the opposite wall.

This is exactly how I got it off. Apply pressure, tap the end of the crankshaft a fair few times and apply more pressure and leave it for 5 minutes. It also helped to release the pressure off the puller and start again. I repeated this a few times and eventually it just popped off while I was chatting.

• Like 1

Love the bike!! it must have some power, the 247 feels quick enough to me.

Is this what mine will look like inside? I have only had the 123 opened up and its clutch is on the other side?

Cheers. Allyboy

It still surprises me with the power. I used to ride a Honda TL and being a 4 stroke the power delivery is completely different. I find with the 348 as long as you're careful with the throttle the power is very smooth and there is always more. I really like the feel of this bike.