4Rt Clutch

tail

Had a thought on the way home this morning about the clutch.Where's the slave cylinder? answer ,in the clutch cover bathed in red hot oil. Boil brake fluid in the system,what happens Brake fade ! Maybe that's the same process what's going on in the clutch slave.it won't boil it but it will be pretty hot in there for a long period of time. Hence the problem coming when the bikes hot.

The clutch just isn't operating !

maybe the fluid is just no good.

Edited by shyted

• 1 month later...

Not that this is of massive interest but the clutch is fixed on my Mont.

It was indeed the fluid .

Did six hrs last weekend without a hitch

So have the MOTUL GP DOT 4 in the clutch system that has a far higher fade point and it has worked without buying any plates or anything.

Anyone got ally plates in theyre bike then?

Edited by shyted

Is that in the older or new bike guys ?

My 260 is much better to ride now . Such a small thing has made a big difference . Two week's ago i would have traded it in but after a week Saturday ago i'll be sticking with the Mont and continue getting the weight

off so it's easier to use . Still hacked off about the kick start pawl though .

Edited by shyted

• 8 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the setup I'm using: Dimpled steel plate set (available from Apico or Jitsie retailers like BVM Moto or Splat Shop) and the OEM friction plates -- 2 each 22201-KY2-000 cork and 4 each 22201-NN4-B00 new type paper -- with Valvoline Dexron VI full synthetic ATF.

and#160;

I first installed the above in my 2005 4RT in May, and it worked so well I changed my 2014 4RT260 to this setup when I ran out of ELF HTX-740 later in May. I was mainly driven by the fact that HTX-740 had become unavailable in North America and only thicker oils were available. But the above dimpled-steel setup worked better for me all-around -- smoother and longer engagement, no drag, no stick after sitting a few weeks or more, easier shifting, easy to find neutral, much less expensive for oil changes, and oil that's readily available from local auto parts stores.

and#160;

To give an example of the elimination of drag and stick, as a test I recently started my 2005 4RT after having it sit unused for a month, cold and in first gear, on the 2nd kick. It didn't walk away with clutch stick or drag, just sat there idling. After a little time, with the bike still stationary, I shifted it into neutral with ease.

Did this to my bike.

Just replaced the paper frictionplates and Apico clutch plates.

The prevous owner had already installed the dimpeled plates, but it wass still dragging with the old style paper frictionplates.

The upgrade to the new style made a big difference, no more dragging even when cold!!

And it is easy to get into neutral at any time.

Running ATF Dexron III on transmission side.

Edited by cmxi

• 2 weeks later...