New Bike Nightmare.

fastbelly

I thought you meant it was a brand new bike. Some things to check, has the previous owner increased the spring pre load on the rear shock ? There should be some sag in the shock with the bike standing without you on it. Tyres do get harder over time I think so although the edge is ok maybe try a new one, if this is a 2013 model the tyre could be two years old now. Finally move the bars back just to try it. If they are too far forward so will you be

S3 flywheel fitted bike prepped, handlebars moved back tires checked with new guage, Ill see how it goes Sunday and let you know how I get on with the new setup.

I did a little work on my old scorpa getting it ready to sell, god it feels like a tank to move about in the workshop. Still got a real soft spot for it though. Got a guy interested in it for 800 so hopefully it will be gone soon.

I got one of the Apico tire gauges, 0 to 15 pounds jobbie. Lovely bit of kit for 14 qiud.

Roll on Sunday.

• Like 1

I got one of the Apico tire gauges, 0 to 15 pounds jobbie. Lovely bit of kit for 14 qiud.

Don't go sticking it over a valve when there's +15 pounds in there, it'll cost you another 14 quid.

Also don't lend Dabster it, he may put it on your car without you noticing, it could happen to fall off & then you might run over it.

LOL, yeah I lent my last nice Blue Point one to my bud Woody at Great Brickhill a while back. He had just changed his rear tyre and had 65 in it to seat it. Blew the ****** up! Never did replace it either....

Nigel, gentle on the throttle? Thats probably half my problem, never had to be too gentle with the old Scorpa. If I could have that motor in this chassis I would be so happy!

Thanks for all the advice, lets see what happens.

Glenn

Edited by fastbelly

Them Scorpa's used to grip lovely but very front heavy, The heavy Yam engine with its heavy flywheel and crank made great soft, torque and was easiy to manage and dial in.

The gas gas is loads lighter and the engine has next to no crank or flywheel so will be zippy and quick to respond but harder to feel what the motor is doing till it spins up.

You need to learn the new character of the bike and you will need to get more weight to the rear of the bike without fear of flipping it.

The clutch comes into play more on a modern bike, Balance clutch slipping with throttle control as you easy it through the slippy bits.

Bend your legs and hang your backside back more, don't just stand on it, Ride in the bike not on the bike if you see what I mean.

Good Luck with it, you will feel fresher at the end of a trial than on the Scorpa.

Hi, thanks for asking.

OMG, what a trial that was. p****d down the whole event and it got worse and worse as the laps went on. Bikes and bodies everywhere. I had a ball but did get a little cold towards the end, p****d wet through and waiting in long queues.

On the bike front I think its better but to be honest conditions were so bad it was hard to say. The motor did seem to be a lot softer so I think it will be better for me but until I ride it again in more familar conditions I cant say for sure. I think the slowthrottle may have to go, when I had to wind it on full on the big climbs I was having to make a real effort to get it right open.

Watch this space....

Softening the engine, slowing the throttle will help but there is more to it than that.

Bikes like Beta 200, Yam Ty250R, yam, TYZ, Yam engined Scorpa are sort of slow reacting and forgiving, they tend to do the work for the rider, but I don't think any of those engines or chassis won a WTC round but they were or are very successful at lower levels. Gassers (of whatever era) on the other hand are much more WTC focussed in their characteristics, they are more responsive but this responsiveness needs to be matched by the rider.

I have not ridden regularly this year but I can get on an old 4rt and get on fine in clubman beck sections. If I do the same on a 300 gasser the bike gets away from me and I am soon tired.

From what you said about their forward position putting back the bars should help with grip.

I can't remember if its been mentioned in an earlier post of if your bike has one, but if it has what position is the ignition map switch in.

Any chance your engine could have been modified to make it sharper.

Is fork oil level correct and is rear damper Ok and linkages well greased.

Has previous owner set bike up so its bouncy

Edited by dadof2