4Rt Not Starting

hannu

HELP, :o

OK so last weekend just after the first section I drowned the bike (2014 4rt), up to my waist in water which is over the air box, Dried it out and after a few kicks it started again and I finished the trial albeit with a few pops and bangs and difficult restarts. So get it home and this week I have stripped down cleaned and thoroughly dried air filter, air box, all the wiring and wiring connectors etc etc.

Plus wet so assume its getting fuel and a spark at the plug but it just wont run, not even a flicker ???

Anyone any ideas ? :rolleyes:

Water like most liquids does not like being compressed, I hope the motor didn't swallow any water? and as mentioned above have you checked the oil as an indicator of water entering the engine? I've never drowned a bike that bad but if I did the plug would have been taken out before any kicking over of the engine happened.

Edited by the addict

Did the engine take in any water?

Have you checked the colour of the oil?

Try a new plug

Not sure if it took in water or not, The bike ran for a good 2hr after in incident albeit with a few coughs which I assumed was damp being taken in due to the wet air filter,

No not checked the oil yet

Yes new plug tried

Not sure if it took in water or not, The bike ran for a good 2hr after in incident albeit with a few coughs which I assumed was damp being taken in due to the wet air filter,

No not checked the oil yet

Yes new plug tried

Oh dear, just checked, oil white, sugar butties

Doesn't sound good, get it out quick before the water allows anything to rust internally

Flush through at least twice with cheap oil

Have you got a spark?

If you have got a spark.......... check the fuel system, has the fuel tank also got water in it?

If so, the water will sit at the bottom of the tank and the fuel on top, thus preventing fuel getting out as pure fuel

You should have checked it last weekend, water sat in engine for a week.............. isn't good :wall:

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

Doesn't sound good, get it out quick before the water allows anything to rust internally

Flush through at least twice with cheap oil

Have you got a spark?

If you have got a spark.......... check the fuel system, has the fuel tank also got water in it?

If so, the water will sit at the bottom of the tank and the fuel on top, thus preventing fuel getting out as pure fuel

You should have checked it last weekend, water sat in engine for a week.............. isn't good :wall:

Thanks Johnny,

Yes oil now out and it was my intention to flush through three times getting engine up to temp and replace oil and filter each time,

Yes I have a spark but the bike didn't go that deep as to get to the tank, However will drain to make sure.

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

Hannu,

Change the oil!!

From experience doing similar once, a bit of water in the engine oil stop my Montesa starting. I tried drying everything and had a spark, but it wouldn't start. When I changed the oil it started within a couple of kicks.

• Like 2

Hannu,

Change the oil!!

From experience doing similar once, a bit of water in the engine oil stop my Montesa starting. I tried drying everything and had a spark, but it wouldn't start. When I changed the oil it started within a couple of kicks.

Yep changed the oil and filter three times and it starts like a gud en again now :hyper: just need to get shut of the side stand and Dunlop tyres now ha ha :lol:

• 4 years later...

Hi All, I realise this is an old thread but I’ve had 4rt starting problems recently and wanted to share the little trick I’d been given by the mechanic at Sandifords, Burnley.

In short, I brought my 2015 4rt home on my trailer through some miserable wet and cold conditions, I spent a week pulling my hair out trying to get it started, checking electrical connections etc without any luck, in the end I phoned Sandifords and they told me to do the following -

Open the Idle screw under the seat by another 2 full turns (factory setting for the tickover is around 3 full turns out).

Fully open the throttle and slowly kick the starter to reset the ECU (the bike won’t start at this stage).

Return the throttle to closed and kick start the bike as normal (no throttle).

The bike should start with a high tickover.

Turn the tickover screw back in until the tickover is ‘normal’.

Hopefully that will save someone the hassle I had..