Cota 349/4

fourex

I've just purchased a 349/4 I think, frame & engine numbers are 51M26134. The reason I say 'think', is because it has a red frame/guards/fork legs making it appear like it could be a 350. I intend to restore it to its original look (not concourse/showroom condition). So, does anyone know what model it might be from that frame/engine number? I know there is little difference between the two models other then colour of guards and fork legs. I'm also after any manuals for these models, either parts or workshop manuals. I've tried googling 349 manuals but only come up with stuff for the earlier 349's. Any help appreciated.

post-14580-0-23315800-1418457019_thumb.jpg

Edited by fourex
  • Like 1

Looks as though it is the Cota 350 version but with a red frame, they were silver/grey originally

All of the 349 range began 51 so that doesn't help identify it as a specific variant

agree looks like silver rims ,head and red mudguards and red side case make it a 350 ,peg mounts have been modified so possibly just had frame painted

349/4 was the first one to have this frame and kicked up swingarm, it followed the white model. Then came the 350 which was essentially the same bike, different colour scheme and some minor detail changes (didn't know about the oil check screw mentioned above) That's what this bike looks like, the 350 variant. I had one when they were new. Great bike apart from the clutch which must date back to the 60s, but the new era twinshocks like Fantics, Armstrong etc were better for the trick riding that was prevalent then. Superb bike for classic events now, which don't require all that trick stuff. The 349 motor is one of the best twinshock engines ever.

Then there is the MH349 which is also the same bike, again with different colours. This is the model that was being sold off cheap for £799 by Appleyards during the air-cooled mono era when most new bikes were probably £1600 and more

• Like 1

I didn't realise what i thought was the last of the 349s was called a 350 ?

Silver frame proper plastic tank swinging arm swept up at rear, thats the model i thought this bike was. Also had improved kickstart.

That is this bike, it should have a silver frame, it's been repainted red. Some still had the older type kickstart

Pic of left side. The bike is not in my possession yet, I've got to drive about 800km south in the next week or two to pick it up. I also believe that the frame has been painted red by a previous owner,( not the bloke I've bought it from), because of the modified footpeg mounts, also note someones attempt to save weight by drilling holes in everything!

post-14580-0-32465200-1418512564_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! What did Mick think of the 349?

Yes, I don't agree with unnecessary mods to a frame that is already quite good from all reports. I'll be checking for that screw under the gear lever when I see it in the flesh in about a week or so.

It's summer here at the moment and their is some beautiful beaches between me and the 800k south to where this bike is, we're going to make a holiday /road trip out of the journey.