348/349 Tank & Seat Restoration..(?)

berkshireduncan

Hi all- I'm a Montesa newbie, hoping someone can offer a little advice.

The P.O. of my 'new' 348 said he thought it had a 'later' tank fitted. From all the 348 pics I've seen the tank (looks) standard, but it's a one piece plastic / polyprop unit.

It's in good sound condition, but has faded to orange- and lost the waxy gloss sheen finish these sort of plastics usually have when new.

Any thoughts on restoration..?

Thanks in advance, Duncan

Depends on which tank you have, 348's all had fibreglass tanks and the early 349's had plastic painted tanks, some pictures would help, they had different mufflers and engine cases the 349 tank also have a fuel level tube built into a slot in the tank on the RHS.

I did repaint my old 349 tank, sanded then spray putty before the final coats

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/vonhazza/media/Mobile%20Uploads/T2eC16JHJHIE9nysd6lWBRhGqgkcGQ60_12_zpsf95bd807.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://rs36.pbsrc.com/albums/e41/vonhazza/Mobile%20Uploads/Trialsoflife027_zpsaf60c645.jpg~320x480?t=1420172690

Edited by vonhazza

The later plastic tanks were an orangey red when new, and not particularly shiny due to a semi textured surface.

I've had a Plastic Mont tank painted but over the last three years it has bubbled and lifted in various places.

if you are thinking of the plastic renovation route I can recommend Holab Concepts near Evesham.

They did a tidy job of renovating a plastic SWM tank for me and the cost was not to bad at all.

Edited by swmtf3

Thanks all, I had another look- this time with my glasses on.. it's off a 349.

It's the model with the 3 white speed blocks below the filler cap, 'Montesa Honda' around the tank badge and 'MH349' in blocky font down by the seat- all faded / Tcut to near invisibility

I'm a returning wobbler, so don't want to go overboard with restoration- at least until I improve(!)