What's Going On With Gas Gas

gassa1

I would imagine that in a couple of months they could be selling bikes again. Totally different scenario assembling bought in components to actually manufacturing those components. It's a good bike with a good reputation so will be a very attractive purchase to the right person.

Gas Gas manufactured very little, did you think they did?

vast majority of car bike ship locomotive manufactures bring in components from other suppliers also I assume as we do with locomotives rolling stock etc we are able to source identical parts from a variety of suppliers this stops inflated prices and tends in most circumstances tends to guarantee the quality of the parts this goes for electrical and mechanical components bolts nuts etc and anything else in between.

Dadoff says "I suspect with every day that passes a return to manufacturing will be harder, and because of JTS and Vertigo the justification for re starting manufacture of GG will be less"

JTS? Not another new catalan maque?

Dad off try to absorb a minimum of info, but just so its easy for you and your lack of understanding is nt so obvious next time :-

Gas Gas make very little, most components are bought in from subbies in the area. So you or I with the original buyer (from GG) could set up gas gas operation tomorrow and get it running in a very short time.

I hope this is what happens sooner rather than later.....

I think it will. Only problem they might get into is the old supliers.

JTS = Jordi Tarres several alternatives beginning with S =TRS, I inadvertently posted JTS, it is a local joke completely meaningless unless you were there at the time the phrase was used.

I know full well that GG did not make most, possibly any of their parts, however this does not alter the fact that the longer the bikes are out of production the harder it will be to restart production. Skills will be lost, workers will move on and subcontractors will close or move to other products.

Additionally GGs potential market share will have fallen due to introduction of Vertigo and TRS, which are newer and therefore presumably better designs.

GG may be resurrected but the case for doing so weakens daily.

Additionally GGs potential market share will have fallen due to introduction of Vertigo and TRS, which are newer and therefore presumably better designs.

that newer and therefore better design would explain why the majority of the buying public is so extremely hesitant to purchase the first 2 years production of a new bike.     :unsure:

• Like 1

Am I right in saying that the first year of Ossa production they used a plastic bush instead of a bearing in the rear wheel ?

If that is the case it was a remarkable piece of design to save a few pennies on a bearing and then suffer the rework and loss of reputation on a new bike launch.

None of the customers realised the problem existed until they had spent their hard earned and the ' bearing' failed, or have I got it wrong ?

• Like 2

I'm not picking over carrion here, I know we've been asked to respect the TC sponsor (there's nothing I'd like more than to see GasGas/Shirty back to full speed) but how can we speculate on a new GasGas being resurgent when it's not clear as to how the fatal-debts arose?

Therefore, how would any new motorcycle company secure any financial backing to re-start GasGas...regardless of the engineering obstacles?

I can't forsee a viable business plan unless the previous pit-falls are clearly defined (as avoidable) or shown to be surmountable, second time around.

It's slowly sunk in that a major trials bike manaufacturer has ceased production, with all the ramifications for the sport. :huh: ...I've recently spent some time with Enduro mounted buddies who were floored by the capabilities of my; 'wee trials bike' <_< (and I make no bold claims about my riding abilities). Trials bikes are the best motorbike product,period.

The latest fun currency exchange rate:-

1x trials bike = 2 x Enduro/MX/Road (tick as applicable) bikes.

Edited by ham2

It was stated clearly in the past press releases, that GasGas could come back (if they can find a financer, which according to the employers should be no problem) , but under another legal form and as a much leaner company, in other words with less over head costs. And also not sooner than in one year.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

By the way, if new companies like Vertigo can make it, why wouldn't GasGas can make a come back?

Edited by guys

There are a huge amount of Gas Gas bikes around, If the company re started smaller scale, I'm sure the income from spares alone would be very profitable.

If they made bikes that they can sell, that would be great also.

In the past they got too big and over produced by a lot, so a year down the line they were discounting them by a grand  or more just to shift them before the new bike is released.

• Like 2

Droping costs on space, no quad, dakar etc projects. Not too many designs, just a good 125 250 and 300.

Very true.

There is always the pressure to continually expand a business but you only have to look at Jotagas for an example of a bad business model. Only last year I saw pictures of their marketing team in South America promoting the product! Tarres wanted the company to walk before it started running. If that had happened how different the future of the company would probably of been.

If Gas Gas gets going again and just sticks to what it does best producing limited quantities it will thrive.

there is a new post on the GASGAS workers facebook profile, I cannot put the link into this reply......

they said that there is still no new investor and no new money, end of june  might be the end of the company, no good news...  

• 2 weeks later...