4Rt Copies?

lsjimmy

#9 less of the cheek please.

In 1978 I was given 2 Chinese made adjustable spanners (bought cheap from a cash and carry). The 6 inch broke within a few weeks, the 10 inch I still have and it has withstood 37 years of hard use. I know of machining companies who have high quality machines such as Hass and Colchester. On occasions they have bought much cheaper Chinese / Asian machine tools and been highly impressed by the quality and longevity. 

Remember when Honda first came to Europe with those funny little step throughs. BSA, Triumph etc laughed and said so what they can't make proper bikes. Leyland also took no notice of those rapidly corroding Datsuns (now Nissan)

They may only be making dodgy copies now, but give it time.

In 1978 I was given 2 Chinese made adjustable spanners (bought cheap from a cash and carry). The 6 inch broke within a few weeks, the 10 inch I still have and it has withstood 37 years of hard use. I know of machining companies who have high quality machines such as Hass and Colchester. On occasions they have bought much cheaper Chinese / Asian machine tools and been highly impressed by the quality and longevity. 

Remember when Honda first came to Europe with those funny little step throughs. BSA, Triumph etc laughed and said so what they can't make proper bikes. Leyland also took no notice of those rapidly corroding Datsuns (now Nissan)

They may only be making dodgy copies now, but give it time.

Hass and Colchester high quality?  Hass No, Colchester for a centre lathe maybe

Toys is all they are

You know there is this little button "Quote" that will place a quote of the post you are referring to into your response to said post.  It makes it much easier to convey the point you are trying to make about that post.  That way the individual in which you wish to respond to will know easily that you are responding to that individual.

And if you choose to respond to many posts, there is the option of the "MultiQuote" button that will allow you respond to multiple posts in the same manner.

• Like 4

Hass and Colchester high quality?  Hass No, Colchester for a centre lathe maybe

Toys is all they are

What's wrong with HAAS (not hass) machines then?  

And a Colchester Tornado is a toy CNC machine, what would you recommend?

And Dadof2: I’m yet to see a Chinese CNC that’s any good, unless you like lots of down time (I know as I used one, when it would work:thumbup: 

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

What's wrong with HAAS (not hass) machines then?  

And a Colchester Tornado is a toy CNC machine, what would you recommend?

And Dadof2: I’m yet to see a Chinese CNC that’s any good, unless you like lots of down time (I know as I used one, when it would work:thumbup: 

DMG Mori or Mazak

Colchester Tornado...get real

DMG Mori or Mazak

Colchester Tornado...get real

so what's wrong with a tornado then, we had one making parts for years never a minutes trouble 

Mori Seiki are fantastic machines, but so are HAAS so how are they any better?

Have you ever used a HAAS?

So anybody can make anything given quality control?

Is that your point?

Thank you Zippy

My point is that historically far east quality control has been very variable but they are capable of making quality items at low prices and are increasingly doing so. About 10 or 15 years ago a friend bought a Chinese trail bike, first time he jumped it the swinging arm bent, whole bike was pretty crap (typical at that time). I have looked at a couple of similar cheap Asian bikes recently and the quality is very very impressive.

Regarding machine tools, the people I discussed this with had their expensive machines fully occupied and both bough cheap machines for alternative work they had chance of. They bought the cheap machines (taiwanese and chinese) in the expectation of them being suitable for wide tolerance work and writing them off at the end of the job. To their surprise the machines were very accurate, reliable and have hardly worn despite many years of use, performing as well as machines costing more than 4 times as much.

Edited by dadof2

Thank you Zippy

My point is that historically far east quality control has been very variable but they are capable of making quality items at low prices and are increasingly doing so. About 10 or 15 years ago a friend bought a Chinese trail bike, first time he jumped it the swinging arm bent, whole bike was pretty crap (typical at that time). I have looked at a couple of similar cheap Asian bikes recently and the quality is very very impressive.

Regarding machine tools, the people I discussed this with had their expensive machines fully occupied and both bough cheap machines for alternative work they had chance of. They bought the cheap machines (taiwanese and chinese) in the expectation of them being suitable for wide tolerance work and writing them off at the end of the job. To their surprise the machines were very accurate, reliable and have hardly worn despite many years of use, performing as well as machines costing more than 4 times as much.

You may be right, but my experience with Chinese machine tools is they are crap!

I would much prefer to buy American, British or Japanese built machines.

Chinese micrometers do make good little G-clamps though :rotfl: 

‘Buy cheap buy twice!’

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

I've operated the same Mori 40 for 12 years and has had new belts, a chuck rebuild, and a door switch. The company bought a bunch of Haas lathes to take the place of aging Yamas and every Haas we have has had at least one new transmission in the six years we've owned them. MORI ANYDAY!! You get what you pay for.

I've operated the same Mori 40 for 12 years and has had new belts, a chuck rebuild, and a door switch. The company bought a bunch of Haas lathes to take the place of aging Yamas and every Haas we have has had at least one new transmission in the six years we've owned them. MORI ANYDAY!! You get what you pay for.

Mori are a far more rigid and robust machine that haas- I know this from experience of programming and running both types of machines.

You do get what you pay for....

My programming and operating experience is with punch presses, lasers etc not machine tools but as I used to design and buy in large numbers of machined components I had to have a fair idea of what our sub contractors machines could do. The Haas machines were multi axis machining centres and gave many years reliable service machining 316 stainless and P20 die steel both of which are fairly tough.

I reckon machine tool reliability is much same as motorcycles, properly used and well maintained they generally give good long service, run too hot with dirty oil and they are soon scrap.

I have also come across some Chinese lathes that are absolute crap, leadscrews just threaded rod and gears made of something like poor quality mild steel.