To Gas Gas Or Not To Gas Gas

sjwales

Hi guys I'm new here so please be gentle ! Looking to get into trials , know nothing about the sport , bikes etc so any advice on a first bike will be much appreciated .

A Gas Gas 250 txt 2009 has come up for sale near to me but having read posts on here regarding Gas Gas filing for bankruptcy is it a good idea to buy one or not ? I'm thinking long term regarding spares , depreciation etc any help is much appreciated .

Cheers

2009 txt 250 is a great all around bike. If it is going for a reasonable price I can't see why you wouldn't go for it. There is no indication that there will not be parts available for many years to come and there really isn't a lot of parts needed to keep them going anyways.

Seriously there are that many Gas Gas about that even if the factory never started again parts suppliers would spring up like weeds. There is good money made in spare parts and remember gas gas only assembled bikes so parts will be available from the original manufacturer no doubt.

Seriously there are that many Gas Gas about that even if the factory never started again parts suppliers would spring up like weeds. There is good money made in spare parts and remember gas gas only assembled bikes so parts will be available from the original manufacturer no doubt.

Well maybe except for Marzocchi, who supplied the forks, as I believe the have also closed.

Probably my favourite 2 stroke I've owned was the TXT 270, 1999? possibly. GasGas going is a massive blow to the sport as well as those who support it and those who have built businesses alongside them. As some have said, spares should be plentiful for years to come and this may even bring some new business opportunities into the sport.

For me im thinking of resale value also , having never ridden a trials bike i may not take to it so unfortunately ive got to consider the resale factor . What will i get for £1.5k ish ?

You might find something worth having for £1500 but it's borderline ,if you could find 2250 you'd get something newer and lees likely to need work,Suggest a 2010/11 beta 250 if you're going off GasGas which I prefer out of the two..buy on condition rather than age and take a friend who knows what they're looking at when you view it.Dont know where you live but Southern bikes generally have an easier time than northern ones. Good luck

Hi huski many thanks for your reply . The 2009 Gas Gas is at £1700 it's on the dreaded ebay I can provide an item number , where else can I look for trials bikes ? With regard to £2250 will I need to spend that when I'm starting out ? I'm in South Wales , I'm intrigued in why northern bikes have harder lives ?

Its a bit of a generalisation to say Northern bikes will have had a harder life, but on balance there are more rocky trials in the North and bikes may get a bit more bashing. The state of the sump guard and undersides / sides of the swinging arm is a good guide.

Don't buy the first bike you see, get a good look at a few and take someone with you who knows about trials bikes.

Off road mart on Trials central

Classifieds in TMX

• Like 1

The trouble is myself and a mate are both looking to get trials bikes but neither of us have any trials experience . We are both fairly mechanically minded having done motocross , karting , rallying etc so I'd like to think we could spot a Lemon but I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be much trials in our area .