Riding After Triple Bypass

bestrcpilot

First off, congrats on making it through!  Good to be on this side, right?!?!?  Three years ago I had quad bypass.  After recovery I got on my vintage MX bike, but it scared the *&@% out of me.  Decided to slow down a bit, so started vintage trials.  Great people, good exercise and realistic skills needed by me.  You and I share our love of the TY175, light and nimble, right?  Well, just stay on your meds, keep at it and enjoy the second chance you have on life.  It's ever better than the first loop!

• Like 1

Hi Best-

I hope all is as good as it can be after everything you've been through. I would hate to try to give medical advice on here so obviously please make sure to ask your Doc about how much exercise you and your ticker can handle. However, from a common sense standpoint, I would think that trials is one of the best things you could do. You are giving your body a stress, a good stress, from which all of the benefits of exercise are based upon. You give your body a stress, it adapts by supercompensating and readying itself for the next stress- Exercise 101.

Trials is a very good blend of aerobic and anaerobic stimulus. Again, I'm not a Doc, just a fellow trials rider, but I do know a thing or two about exercise. Trials riding is vigorous, even at the low levels. You will very likely burn fat, increase the efficiency of how well you use oxygen, and put a very needed demand on your muscles (heart too) that has myriad benefits. Also, your nervous system is constantly challenged with the demand of balancing and making quick judgements  while making your body adjust to them, (can I clear that log?, can I make that turn?). All great stuff healthwise. Never mind the fact that you are outside, sweating, moving and breathing fresh air. Please check with your Doc, but I hope you keep riding not just because you can- but because your health will likely improve as a result of it. Best of luck.

• Like 1

had open heart surgery last year  for a dodgy mitral valve I had never ridden a trial bike and fancied doing it went to inch perfect trials for a experience day and as they say the rest is history. the wife bought me a gassa 125 as a treat but now looking to upgrade to a bigger bike after xmas or later fell off a few times but just got back on. did a story for the british heart foundation which is on line and your welcome to read it . the only thing that will stop you riding my friend is yourself .just beaware that I assume like me you are now taking warfarin or its equivelant if so armour up or pad up round the knees elbows etc. PS were are you from which country are you in the uk I would avoid big rocks due to brusing but just get your confidence back and your strength I went trialing 6 month post op and was knackered but fell in love with it. if your in the northwest of England I will gladly meet up with you for a chat or ride [be warned I aint good] or if your worried about anything you can always PMin regards to your surgery recovery rate down dated aches and pains as what you have been through is and I can not emphasis this enough very traumatic.

but you should not will not have to sell your bikes just tailor your trailing to your condition .I am back at work and trialing as well

Edited by english electric
  • Like 1

On December 20, 2012 I had a triple heart bypass operation. On December 24, 2012 I was back at home and the following day I ate a normal Christmas dinner. Three days later I attended a Christmas lunch and on January 1, 2013 I was secretary for a New Year's Day Trial and walked half way round the course.

Fourteen weeks later I rode a trial on Good Friday and finished fourth in the Clubman class then two days later I rode another trial and finished third in the Clubman class.

Since then I have ridden regularly on my Beta Evo, my BMW F800 and also my Beta Alp. I'm still secretary of the local club, I'm an ACU Steward and a member of the national Trials and Enduro Committee and a regular contributor to this website.

So, in answer to your question, yes you can ride again.

Are there any warnings I would give. Yes, again. The chest wound takes a long time to heal and seems to ache after activity such as washing the car, sweeping the drive or emulsioning the walls.  So take the car to the local car wash, sweep the drive by pulling the broom not pushing and get a in a decorator. Riding a bike is no problem. And the leg wound from where they have taken the vein tends to be sore for a long time.

Other than that, take plenty of exercise, take the pills and put it all behind you.

So who am I - Hillary better known as Mike Rapley.

• Like 3

and you will get backache even 9 months after surgery feels a bit cramp but worse but don't forget they cut through a lot to get to your heart clamp your chest open and put your arms in an unnatural position for about 5 hours. how long ago was your surgery it takes 8 weeks for the breastbone to settle down I couldn't walk the dog till after 8 weeks or drive .thing is do what the doctors tell you complete your physio and above all carry on taking your medication and you will be back riding no worries. you will get post opp aches and pains as everything heals back together I can not comment on the leg wounds as I had valve surgery so Hilary is the best to answer any queries on that avoid when riding as I found out to my cost riding on a meal give yourself at least an hour unless your want severe motion sickness. anything else you want to know ask away

but how long ago was your surgery etc were do you live etc what meds are you taking would be a big help. ??

Edited by english electric
  • Like 1

I had a heart attack and three stents fitted eight years ago. It didn't occur to me to stop riding or doing anything else. If anything, as I'd had the medical equivalent of a rebore and flushing out of the oilways, I was far better prepared for this sort of activity after the event than before it. A triple by-pass is a similar upgrade.

• Like 2

More info was asked for so here it comes. 4 weeks post op. I'm from the orther side of the pond from most of you, the USA. I have been riding trials for over 40 years. Now on a ty175 in vintage class and rebuilding a Bultaco m49.

Had my first heart attack 10 years ago and have had 4 more leading up to the bypass, with 6 stents alone the way. A total knee replaced 3 years ago. So I could keep riding. Not on any blood thinner, my blood does not want to clot on it own.

Good post from everyone.Glad to read that you have all made it through and are still riding.One thing I can add from experience with my Father.If you ever have any kind of warning signs that something might not be right in the years to come, do not hesitate to get to the Doc and see what,s going on.

I would wait till you get the all clear from your doctors that your sternum has healed then the rest is up to you and the pace at which you go at it. keeping taking the meds and as your only 4 weeks post op don't worry about any niggly pains etc if your worried consult your doctor cardio nurse etc but most of the aches will be down to the healing of muscle tendons nerves etc .

it will be worrying early on the dreams will subside pain etc and do your physio get out walking and before you know it you will be back on your bike. I don't know what weight a ty is but even my gassa 125 weighed a ton when first learning to ride just took my time and built my strength up. you have had bypass which requires surgery to remove veins from your legs [which I didn't] so I can not comment on that .

but don't worry you will be back on the pegs in min of 6 months I did it and had never ridden a bike and the best thing I did if you can afford to treat your self look to get a 2nd hand modern or borrow a 125 to get you back going again as like I said I can not comment on your ty 175 weight wise compared to my 125 and handling and all that only you know having more experience than me or but for me the point was to enjoy something new learn something new and above all do it in a safe and correct manner without being a liability to others and being considerate .

I think for now I will have to wait and see about when I can get back on the bike.

Believe it or not but my Ty175 is down to 150 pounds now after 5 years of work. So I think I will stick with it. One of the perks of being a toolmaker.

My Doctor is not motorcycle friendly and when ask about getting back to riding he said I should never get back on one of those death machines.

So you can see why I asked on here.

My cardiologist is totally supportive of my trials riding and even might join in too!!!  Take is easy, rest, recover and then get up on those pegs!!!  You've got some bonus years of life, so take advantage of it!  And if you want to ride in Texas, let me know and I'll join you at some of our FANTASTIC vintage events here!!!

RIDE ON!

• Like 1