What Chain To Buy?

Guest sherco dude

Any good quality chain will do fine, O-ring chains tend to be better for real muddy conditions, but are usually wider and may rub. Bike uses a 520 chain and the length is dependant on gearing. Someone will come up with the stock length (number of links), or you can simply count the one you took off.

Edited by JTT

Even a cheap o-ring chain will require minimum maintenance and will likely last the life of the bike. And, being that they don't wear out, your sprockets will last a very long time.

There is a slight drag.

I actually like it.

It might bug you if you're an expert or pro.

I can't remember the length...count yours.

It's around 106...I could be way off base.

If you go o-ring, make sure you know just how many links...you don't want to pay for extra, and they're a bit hard to shorten.

I simply go down to my local bike shop every January and buy a new medium grade 520 chain. I think this last one I got was an RK or maybe it was a DID. Anyway, they run about $30-$50.

Like most of the Shercos have, I put a 10 tooth coiuntershaft sprocket on my GAS GAS (down from and 11) and that smaller front sprocket will wear out a chain more quickly too.

I tried an o-ring chain once and started getting more stalled engine 5's in the really tight sections or when having to shut down hard after a big up to make a tight turn. Normally the engine could get that one more tick over when I needed it and I pretty much knew when it was about to quit and would be quick enough to get the clutch, but with the drag of the o-ring chain it wouldn't make that one more tick over and would stall out early, causing some really frustrating 5's. I hate stalled engine 5's more than anything. So I went back to regular chains and replace them every year. The stall problem went away too. So far I'm on the same sprockets and they still look good.

The chains they put on most new bikes are junk. They wear out quick and a worn out chain will ruin sprockets in a hurry, but with new chains the sprockets last a long time.