Sacu Licences

overthehill

I guess there will be two main points of view with this, those in favour of a pay per event type licence (ACU) and pay per year type (SACU). Depending on how often you ride then one of the systems will benefit. My personal view is that is should be made as fair as possible to all. How many people think the road tax system is fair? How many believe that the tax should be abolished and placed on the fuel?

To me this is a simliar argument. IMHO, the fair way to tackle the problem is to charge per event. In the same way that I believe the motorists that do the most mileage should contribute the most to the government, my view is that the riders that ride the most trials should contribute the most.

What might not be feasable though is the ability to charge the same rates as the ACU should the SACU take up the same system. It may have to be a higher amount per rider due to the fewer amount of trials riders taking part in SACU events. Does this make the SACU system as it is a better system? Who knows? I suspect the SACU charge the way they do because they believe it is the most efficient way to generate the income that is essential to trials/bike sport in Scotland.

Found out a bit more about the increase in licence cost at my local MX club AGM last night. As expected no-one is happy at the increase, the majority thinking that its taking the Michael just a bit and the concensus of opinion is it will drive riders away from organised sport, be it Motocross, Enduro or Trials.

Apparently the SACU are doing away with the 'Capitation fee' where each club paid the SACU a fee for each riding member (or licence holder) the club had.

ahh - we scrapped that in the ACU some time ago. we (the club) too used to pay the ACU for every member we had, so now you non competing members aren't in any way affiliated to the SACU/ACU at all (i thought this all went when we introduced trials affiliation).

the insurance costs (are as far as i know) the same in the AMCA (its the same insurance company IIRC), and thus the only extra your is paying for the SACU (which must in some way provide services back to you..... -> stewards, legal help, training, pays for your inter centre team, etc, etc) and anything at all you pay the ACU .... ???

HRC - the only bar would be the different Scottish legal system - the AMCA office would have to establish if it legal for them to issue permits, etc for Scotland (the ACU, AMCA, etc are by a story instrument, circa 1992, removed form the road traffic act requirement to notify the police --> but i bet this is only an england & wales act)

rabie :)

I agree totally with overthehill. If you're not happy then complain or discuss it at club AGMs and get the club to complain.

As for me - if the money doesn't get put in, where do they find it to put out? I only hope that if the licence fee is raised, the money comes back, in a positive manner. We only ever "hear on the grapevine" what the SACU is thinking about doing. Not what it is doing.

A lot of good work is done (i'm sure) by the SACU. After all we're all out at weekends enjoying ourselves.

I think both systems are fine and will work equally as well for the right person, Scottish rider doing 15+ trials/ English rider doing 4 trials but if you have any complaints about it or any other issue, go to the SACU AGM or your clubs AGM, thats where the issues are brought up for disscusion and approved or not. Plenty people will shout about it after the fact but will not go to meetings, or they go and say bugger all until after the meeting !!!! If youwant to see where the 40 quid goes ask your club sec. for a look at the SACU accounts