boo22

Recently at the Baraboo trial in Wisconsin, 2 riders had scorecards

with the same number of 0's 1's 2's 3's and 5's

NATC rules say the next tiebreaker is farthest cleans

which to me is a little vague.

The first loop card of rider #1 was

The first loop card of rider #2 was

We gave rider #1 the winning place, based on his clean in the 6th section

which is the farthest, but I wanted to verify this. Thanks.

The alternative interpretation I was looking at

was in their last loop cards:

Rider #1

Rider #2

Here the #2 riders clean on section 7 was the "farthest (and last) clean"

but I'll scratch this idea.

Just been looking at your NATC rules, and they seem a little less definite than ACU rules. "Farthest cleans" suggests that you stop counting at the first section they didn't clean (section 1).

"Farthest with least loss of marks" makes things clearer - it's sudden death basically.

I wouldn't think there could be much complaint the way you've done it though.

We had a ride off at my last event between 2 of the experts, it got to be a tossup how to break the tie because I had done a shotgun start, and then they had decided not to start where they were supposed too anyway. :P

But, I will say, I like the "rideoff" resolution far better.

I think I had to add twists to the hardest section (that nobody in that class had cleaned all day and they both cleaned it in the rideoff) 3 times before we came out with a winner.. It really was fun and neat way to end it, and I felt a lot better as the trialmaster that the tie was broken that way.

At the Youth National Dean tied for first with points 2 days and lost the tiebreaker math both times. It is the way it goes, but that does not mean we have too like it.

What about speed test? A speed test has been used successfully in events I have ridden and requires one observer and a stopwatch. It works like this, there is a short taped off area that would be more accustom to green laning/enduro's riders riding. The rider traverses the set course from the timed start gates to the end gates in the quickest possible time, and the quickest rider wins. The last speed test I done was riding around a 2-acre pond in 4th gear like a motor crosser, great fun.

I have a genuine question to ask about two riders in the southeast of england riding under ACU rules.

Q: Two riders A&B in my centre look set to finish the championship with same the total points tally. Both riders would have the same amount of wins and second place finishes, who wins the championship?

I have a genuine question to ask about two riders in the southeast of england riding under ACU rules.

Q: Two riders A&B in my centre look set to finish the championship with same the total points tally. Both riders would have the same amount of wins and second place finishes, who wins the championship?

The rider who has the highest position in the last heat is the way that would be broken in OZ.

When there is a tie here on riding points then we use a ride off to determine the winner. This of course only works for events where the results are known on the day to enable this to take place. I can see that the furtherst clean system to be a good tie break method for an event where the results are not known soon enough.

Tie breaks at the world rounds are broken by the rider who completed the day in less time.

PA

The ride off is always an absolute show stopping winner! It really brings the crowd over to watch the riders battle.

The first USA indoor trial featured the most intense, awesome, unimaginable ride off finish between Ryon Bell and Geoff Aaron. After cleaning all the 'ride off sections' it was turned to a 'timed' ride off which intensified the whole thing. One rider cleaned the hardest section in a blinding record speed. After seeing that, we all thought he had it in the bag then the other rider came through with an even crazier, ride that obliterated the first one's time.

UNBELIEVABLE ending to an alread awesome event.

I left out the names incase some of you haven't seen the video so that you can go get it. You'll be glad you did.

Speed is good, but I'd have to disagree with you spud. An enduro time test is kind of not what trials is about is it? ;) Balance and precision... ;)

Plus the fact that trials bikes are scary unstable at speed. Ever done a tank slapper down a dirt road in 5th? Not fun. :P:lol:

Ride offs are intense. We had one years ago between two intermediate riders and it was one heck of a show. Had them doing some hard stuff. :o