85-86 Ty Frame Differences?

jas

Not sure of exact dates but some changes were.

Frame colour changed from red to white

Bracket added to frame to accommodate rear shock reservoir, earlier models had non reservoir shock

rear suspension linkage may have been changed, suspension was much better on white framed models

Several of my friends had red framed models of varying ages and I never noticed any differences in their frames, but I had not specifically looked for any

Edit - Above applied to UK models. Other markets or grey imports may be different

Edited by dadof2

Were some of the differences between the R and S models ? I had an early R which I think was 1985, this one had the remote shock reservoir and small fuel tank.It had had its frame chromed,but would have been red originally. Good bike.

The basic frame was probably unaltered right through production, the R models had less bracketry than the S or N models which came street legal with lights, indicators etc etc, the R had none of that

First models had some issues with the rear of the engine casing breaking where the pivot ran through it, not sure if there may have been changes to sort that out, but that was very early on.

I can't remember the year but there were some vociferous complaints when it was decided that Britain would only get the model with the steel tank and all the lugs on the frame along with the restrictive silencer, most of which was easily remedied.

The main beef was that one of the biggest markets for the TY was being sold short by getting the "trail" fork yokes as opposed to the "proper" ones on the pukka trials model.