Honda Rtl Muffler Heatshield

markg

Hi All,

Anyone have any ideas or know where I can get a heat shield for the muffler on my 87 RTL. Gets very hot and tired of burning my pants. I have seen some in the pictures of Saunder's and Lejeune's works bikes?

I made one from fibre glass.

Bought the bits off the internet and followed instructions how to make "glass reinforced fibre parts" on You Tube. I used the exhaust as the mould so the part was a bit tight. If I was going to do it again I'd want to make it a few mm larger than the exhaust so I could have room for heat insulation or air between the heat shield and the exhaust.

• Like 1

I prefer the one in jj65's picture, screwed on, so it can be removed for cleaning.

It looks like its riveted on or something similar. The only way I can see to make one is to attach it to the exhaust bracket at the top and the clamp at the bottom. Looking into it though as its something I've wanted for awhile.

It looks like its riveted on or something similar. The only way I can see to make one is to attach it to the exhaust bracket at the top and the clamp at the bottom. Looking into it though as its something I've wanted for awhile.

Rive nuts would be the answer if you can face drilling holes in your exhaust !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSIONAL-4mm-8mm-THREADED-RIVET-NUT-NUTSERT-RIVNUT-INSERT-SETTING-TOOL-NEW-/361416834381?hash=item54261f3d4d:g:6yAAAOSw5VFWLlco

• Like 1

Yes good idea, then you can remove the shield if need for cleaning out the mud behind it. I did think maybe you could use a self tapper, but rivet nut would be a better option.

• 3 weeks later...

I took the opportunity to take a photo of the heat shield I made by making a mould from the exhaust. There are videos of how to make carbon fibre or fibreglass parts on YouTube. It uses the bolt hole on the frame for the top and folds under the bottom of the silencer this way it just clips off after a muddy trial.

post-1507-0-87312100-1451055542_thumb.jpeg

post-1507-0-91986500-1451055570_thumb.jpeg

post-1507-0-24838300-1451055606_thumb.jpeg