Which Rear Shock

toneh

Having discovered the showa rear shock is pretty much beyond repair I'm now looking for a new shock

I'm ruling a new showa out on price

Next is either ohlins or trp at between the 400/450

But I'm also drawn to the fox float mxr

The wieght is ridiculously light in comparison to all other shocks and can be had for £347

The two things putting me off is durability and the fact they are not a common sight on trials bikes

Would like comments or feed back from anyone who's used or using one

Ridiculously light as there is no metal spring. Didn't know they did a trials version.

If they are the same as the mountain bike one then they are very easy to strip but they need to be taken apart much more frequently than trials riders are used to (which is never, in most cases) in order to refresh the oil (there is only about a teaspoon worth in the cycle one as it is only there to lubricate the main seal).

The bit that does the damping is nitrogen charged so can't really be dealt with by the owner. The mountain bike guys think nothing of sending them off for an annual service but I don't think that would suit the notoriously parsimonious trials rider. That's apart from Royal Mail confiscating them if you put one in their postal system.

I suspect anyone on here, including me, who had air forks in the Seventies will warn you off as any leak leaves you bottomed out.

Take it from me there's no joy in riding a bike with collapsed suspension, especially if it's the first day of the Aberfeldy Two Day, or the Wednesday of the SSDT for that matter

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I was told by the fox supplier that they recommend a strip and rebuild around every 6 month and the seal kits are relitivley cheap

Also they are air only not nitrogen so no hassles getting it filled

But I know what you mean about the colapsed shock scenario, no spring = no support whatsoever

It isn't a trials application but I have an Ohlins on my dual sport and it's a good shock, I have heard good things from others having run them on trials bikes as well.

In fact if I was going to update my wife's bike I would likely go with an Ohlins from Lewisport as I keep hearing they are quite good at setting them up on trials bikes. We where able to adjust hers to an ok point and she is happy with it so didn't go that route, but almost...

Not sure where you are in the world, but if you have access to someone who dose the Ohlins for trials or are able to order one setup to your specifications that would be my call.

Best of luck.

There is actually a nitrogen charged area but it is normally only the air sleeve that needs maintenance attention and that is easy for any competent owner to attend to and only requires a shock pump to recharge. But you tend to be checking/adjusting the pressure every time out, at least on the mountain bike anyway.

I assume you are dealing with Mojo - I was most impressed with them when I had to call on their services while on holiday this year and a couple of hundred miles away from my tools.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I would not recommend an air shock on a trials bike, They get warm as they are close to the exhaust and due to the slow speed of trials they get no air flow either.

The air shock thing was done in the 80's on the JCM and Alfer bikes and failed, If they are improved now the factories wouldn't miss the trick.

Air will expand under heat unlike nitrogen charged units.

I'm guessing you have a Mont going by the Showa.

I recall seeing Sachs do a new shock for about £295 with choice of springs to suit, They are std fit on many trials bikes.

If you want the best go Reiger, Gas Gas team uses them and I have heard a rumor Beta are going over to them too.

Yes your quite right about a nitrogen compartment, just reading the fox manual about maintenance,

Do not pressure wash ( could apply to lots of things), keep the air sleeve lubed, service regular

Not so set on the idea again now seems a little fragile

Yes was speaking to mojo today , very helpful

The shock is acut ally only 332 and 15 for the adapter to fit the 4rt

Been investigating the repair of the showa

The service kit or to have it serviced is a reasonable price but my lower shock body is battered to death where the spherical bearing fits , it's worn /oval

Banyeres do sell just the bottom at over 400 euros then factor in the service and it works out at the price of a new ohlins

I'm not a very good rider and only want a non leaky /no play shock that I can adjust

For the best price , I can't justify spending a fortune on a shock that will be wasted on me

Hi, I had a Sherco 125 to which I fitted a TRP (set by the supplier for my bike and my weight) fantastic. Explaining the difference to others was hard it was easier to give them a ride and see their smiles. I sold it to a mate when I updated my ride, and he put it straight on to his 280, with some Spring adjustment only, and was over the moon. I'm 75kg he's 90kg.

Now I have a 250 Pro with an Ohlins fitted I love it. Again, giving mates ride a makes then green with envy. I always tried make out I was a good rider, but now they know it's the shock.

Cheers Taff

• 3 weeks later...